Modifying Pedals into true bypass ?

Updated
Nagash
I was wondering, can you modify a pedal that is not true bypass to make it so ?
diadorastriker

Yes

Grindting

you can of course

but beware that sometimes the buffering of non-truebypass pedals gives a certain character, and also without some of the buffering it would actually sound worse as true bypass

it depends on what pedals we're talking about, and how many of them you are running

jet66

Personally, I'd probably go with the looper myself, too. Like grind said, sometimes the buffer is part of the pedal's overall tone. With something like a wah, the looper is probably not a convenient solution in application, of course.

IMO, 'true bypass' is one of those 'almost snake oil' things: It certainly has its advantages, or at least obvious differences, but it can also be a case of 'too much of a good thing' if you are running a lot of pedals, all 'true bypass.' A good buffer at the front or back of the chain usually makes for the 'best,' or at least most consistent, tone, IME.

Nagash

I'd be running only two pedals that are not true bypass, two Boss ones.

Grindting

you need to list ALLLLLLLLL your pedals - not just the ones that are not true bypass

so start again

list all of your pedals, how long your cables are, what amp you're running into - and what you hope to achieve at the end of it all

gorsch

buying something to make your non true bypass pedals......true bypass seems dumb to me. Why not just buy better pedals that are true bypass? If its a very rare pedal that doesnt come in a true bypass form, then its prolly fine as.

If your 2 boss pedals have that much effect on your tone..they're either broken or you have issues with something other then the pedals. In my experience Boss pedals stop working altogether (its a rarity tho) before eating up your tone to the point you wished it was true bypass.

Nagash

I'm not the kind of guy who waits until a problem occurs until he asks for help. I think faster than that and ask for info BEFORE. I don't even own half the pedals/floor stuff I want, but it would be a TC Electronic G-System, a TC Electronic Polytune (not sure since there's a tuner in the G-System, just not as good as the Polytune), a Boss Acoustic Simulator, a Boss Harmonist, two expression pedals and an extra noise gate if the one from the G-System isn't sufficient.

TC makes true bypass, I'm sure I could find good expression pedals, but Boss definitely doesn't TB their stuff. That's why I asked.

younasu

Uhh yeah, but if he wants to get one anyway..?

I'm not the kind of guy who waits until a problem occurs until he asks for help. I think faster than that and ask for info BEFORE. I don't even own half the pedals/floor stuff I want, but it would be a TC Electronic G-System, a TC Electronic Polytune (not sure since there's a tuner in the G-System, just not as good as the Polytune), a Boss Acoustic Simulator, a Boss Harmonist, two expression pedals and an extra noise gate if the one from the G-System isn't sufficient.

Agree on loops though ... mmmm ... loops. *drool*

Grindting

Boss doesn't TB their pedals because Boss pedals have an internal buffer which helps keep the signal bold when using long cables and using other pedals

example

guitar > TB wah > TB pedal 1 > TB pedal 2 > TB pedal 3 > TC noise gate > amp

that is a lot of connections and cables

THIS would actually sound BETTER...

guitar > TB wah > TB pedal 1 > TB pedal 2 > Boss pedal > TC noise gate > amp

as the boss is acting as a buffer (on or off).

but i don't really think you know the logic behind the questions that you're asking. you need to actually understand what your goals are and what you're going to do. TB doesnt mean 'better', as noted before many times.
please go back to the drawing board and do what i asked you to do before you post anything else

Nagash

but i don't really think you know the logic behind the questions that you're asking.

I found this particular sentence very insulting. You say you don't know me, that's odd cause I have already seen you on various threads and I'm pretty sure I saw you on at least one thread that drove me nuts, but okay, let's say I won't take it against you personally.

As I said, thanks for the answer, just no thanks for the way you answered (see what I quoted above).

gorsch

any reading material I could find on the buffers with Boss pedals? It's news to me but I've never had issues before as also always ran a NS2 at least with good cables and good power. But now my board is getting bigger and I might benefit from knowing more about this like are there better Boss pedals for this? or do they all do the same? No longer using a NS2 as I dont need it and just took off my TU2 cuz my Snark kicks it's ass. other then having it right at my foot so to speak.

diadorastriker

any reading material I could find on the buffers with Boss pedals? It's news to me but I've never had issues before as also always ran a NS2 at least with good cables and good power. But now my board is getting bigger and I might benefit from knowing more about this like are there better Boss pedals for this? or do they all do the same? No longer using a NS2 as I dont need it and just took off my TU2 cuz my Snark kicks it's ass. other then having it right at my foot so to speak.

I would get the visual sound pure tone buffer. It is just a buffer that sits in front of your signal chain and it works wonders.

Nagash

Grindting, you should know by know I hate people who talk to me like you do, I'm far from being an idiot. This thread isn't about what is better or anything. If I want all my stuff to be true bypass, that's the way I want it, even if it's stupid. If I wanted to know whether or not it's a good idea, I would have made a thread for it. As I said, I'm just seeking info right now, and even if you have the info I need, if every time you answer me telling me I'm an idiot, just stay the fuck off my threads.

Thanks anyway.

gorsch

Grindting, you should know by know I hate people who talk to me like you do, I'm far from being an idiot. This thread isn't about what is better or anything. If I want all my stuff to be true bypass, that's the way I want it, even if it's stupid. If I wanted to know whether or not it's a good idea, I would have made a thread for it. As I said, I'm just seeking info right now, and even if you have the info I need, if every time you answer me telling me I'm an idiot, just stay the fuck off my threads.

Thanks anyway.

Dude, thats just him.....dont take it seriously (and Gindting...dont take that as an insult). He and I prolly had beefs however long ago I started posting here. Actually pretty sure we did, but then we ended up agreeing on a few things (women and ...... many other things here and there). I dont consider myself a noob either by any means. Im 28 (still young) and been playing since I was 8 or so.

Just remember that when you ask for help....you'll get it. How you get it may not be that way you expected but you still get it. If the help you get doesnt fit what you were looking for...then ask in a different way. And it's the interwebs, the little arrow in the bottom right corner of you screen pointing down makes it go away if you dont wanna hear it.

I would get the visual sound pure tone buffer. It is just a buffer that sits in front of your signal chain and it works wonders.

will look into this. Now I have 9 pedals on the board and dont expect to get more. Hopefully less but if I can find a use for it...it'll be there. One thing I was interested with the Boss stuff is cuz then it's a pedal that serves 2 functions. Not just something taking up real estate.

EDIT: wait.......it's not a pedal lol

Grindting

Grindting, you should know by know

know by know?

I'm far from being an idiot.

If I want all my stuff to be true bypass, that's the way I want it, even if it's stupid.

:lol

if every time you answer me telling me I'm an idiot where have i ever told you that you are an idiot?

just stay the fuck off my threads.

what do you mean by 'threads'. i've never even seen you make a thread until today, i don't know who the fuck you are, nor do i care. and i'll post in whatever threads i want. you asked a question, and i gave you some good answers. if you don't like it, move on

Thanks

you should have started and ended there.

younasu

The G-System has 4 programmable FX-Loops and one Send/Return for your preamp. Plug your pedals into the FX-Loops and you're set.

Nagash

@Grinting, I don't WANT to argue about some older crap...

Back to subject !

On another forum, I found out I wouldn't need the Polytune, the Harmonist and the noise gate, and that one expression pedal would be enough.

So we have the G-System, the Acoustic Simulator and an expression pedal, I can find true bypass expression pedals, only the Boss AC-3 wouldn't be TB (God, some would think I'm talking about TuBerculosis, LOL) but there's this buffer thing.

Seems like the problem is solved ^^

gorsch

the g-system might even be able to pull off the Acoustic sim stuff too. At least as well as the boss. If I remember correctly my g-major had an "acoustic sounding" setting. The G-system should be able to achieve the same if not already have one.

Nagash

nice to know ^^

In fact, I want every effect I can think of, but that would make a ton of pedals. And anyway, I don't need the very best of every effect, just something nice I can fumble around with to find nice sounds. Since the G-System does everything and TC are renowned for high quality, I can't wait ^^. 1500 bucks for everything I want seems a hell of a nice bargain to me :p

Post to Thread