Tony Iommi Crunch?

Updated
distortionman
hi ive been lately listening to some sabotage and sabbath, bloody sabbath and discovered that tony iommi has some serious Crunch going on but how does he get that tone is it guitarwise or ampwise or something else i would really want to know
Mark K.

He uses Laney amps nowadays with humbucker guitar, probably mahogany body... That's the only thing i know..

Though he uses his plastic fingers:P

NeedsMoreBlueBell

hi
ive been lately listening to some sabotage and sabbath, bloody sabbath and discovered that tony iommi has some serious Crunch going on

but how does he get that tone
is it guitarwise or ampwise or something else

i would really want to know

He used Laney Supergroup heads boosted by Range Master treble boosters with a Gibson SG with P90's and very light-gauged strings (8-32's on Sabotage and MAYBE Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, I think he used 9-42's on that one) back in the day.

And yeah, I agree, I love Sabotage. My favorite Sabbath song, Symptoms of the Universe, is on it. =P

esp_gaijin

my 2 biggest guitar heros are Page and Iommi.

i'll vouch for these 2 products to get Iommi's tone on all albums except the very first album which to me doesn't tonally sound like the rest:

- gibson Iommi pickups
- laney Iommi amp head.

i love both of those ^. i'll say this though, the Laney Iommi head sounds pretty close to the Bogner Uberschall but the Uber is better imo, a bit tighter, and is why i sold my Iommi head - i really didn't need both. all my gcx/gcp patches for Sab songs use my uber (i have 3 amps, uber, splawn promod, mesa stiletto, all controlled by gcx ).

here's a product that confuses me as it sounds good but nothing at all like Iommi:
- seymour duncan's "Iommi" pickup. i have these from a Patrick Eggle Iommi model, they came stock in, i swapped for the Gibsons. good pickups but sound more for low gain classic rock and cleans than anything "heavy metal".

all is jmo.

Post to Thread