Bedroom Recording Advice?

Updated
Paradiso
Hey everyone, I'm new here (obviously)....just been browsing the threads and such. Could you give me tips on throwing together a good, simple bedroom recording setup for electric guitar? I'm in college, so I'm pretty broke...I don't want anything fancy, just something better than what I have. I just like to record for fun--I'm not trying to make an album or anything--but wouldn't mind a better guitar sound, you know? What I'm mainly looking for is a mic, and it seems like the sm57 is a pretty good choice (good quality, relatively inexpensive, and Christmas is around the corner). I know it needs a loud signal, which is o.k. because I live in an apartment full of crazy college kids so they won't care (unless I'm drastically underestimating the actual volume needed to use the mic for a guitar amp). I have a 120 watt 2x12 combo, and it gets pretty loud. Any other mic suggestions, though? It also seems like I'll need a pre-amp interface thing for the signal so it will be boosted. What do you guys use? I have a pirated version of FL Studio 8 XXL Producer's Edition that I use for drumming/synth effects, and I use WavePad Sound Converter as my recording program. Do you guys recommend anything instead of those two programs that I might be able to get for free or torrent perhaps? I'm pretty content with the drum/synth sounds I get from FLS, and WavePad is simple to use. My main concern is just getting a little bit better of a guitar sound than what I get now...I run a crappy old vocal mic directly into my computer (Dell Inspiron) and the quality is pretty rank....I figure that AT LEAST a better mic and a pre-amp interface (TASCAM or something else maybe) would help me achieve a better guitar sound. I really like the tone I get from my amp, I just want my setup to more accurately reflect the way it sounds. By the way, I am assuming that a better mic will most improve the quailty of recorded sound that I get....aside from any other equipment. If there is a better path to take, please guide me! Thanks for any help you can give me. Happy holidays everyone.
Mark K.

in which input do you put your mic on your computer? the (pink) microphone input or the (blue) line in input... you need the line in input... microphone is telephone quality..

Other than that. Buy an SM57 like you said and a XLR to jack cable with a jack to mini-jack plug.

That's the cheapest, better solution I can find.

Paradiso

Thanks for your reply!

Well, the laptop I use really just has two inputs for sound-related devices: a speaker input, and a microphone output. None of them are color-coded...they have little engravings with either a speaker or mic symbol. Is it possible that the speaker input is also the line-in input? If so, I will definitely give that a try.

I will also keep looking into the sm57.

Anything else you guys like to use? Thanks again for the help.

load more replies (1 of 1)
LithelShrimper

I'd suggest a cheap usb interface instead of plugging the mic right into your computers sound card.

Spoonylove

Stop pirating software.

Start playing live.

/thread

Durethia

Paradiso, if you want a full blown, professional studio production capability with the least amount of expenses... click this link.

Ardour is really bad ass, and one of the few Open Source projects that have dual primary targets (MacOS X and GNU/Linux/BSD). There's been some recording studios that based all their computing on Ardour, so if it's good enough for professional recording, it's probably exceedingly capable, at least for my own abilities. I'm considering taking an audio recording class at a local community college just so I can use Ardour on my Linux box and Digital Performer on my Mac. The college I think focuses on Digital Performer (because they have a lot of MOTU equipment). But the core principles span all of these software platforms.

Point is, don't pirate software. If you pirate Logic, you're probably not going to produce better results than legally downloading Ardour. Plus, Ardour doesn't fit a business model, so getting help with using it, or this and that with Ardour is easy and highly abundant. Getting help with Digital Performer requires a credit card number.

Justinschut

when I play in my room I always use my Spider II combo and when I wanna record, I have a cable coming from the Line in from my soundcard that I can plug into the line out from the Spider, works fine

andrei

hey, glad you like it.

i like it very much so far and it fulfills all my current recording needs.
i've tryed recording first through microphone in front of the amp, then through some cheap audio interface with no software, which was just a pain and then i've settled on this one.
our other guitarist has the ux2 (with a mic input also) and it works just as well, but i like to keep it basic.

i'd say the magic is also in the software, and the way it works with the hardware.
with the other interface i used to get lag and delays.
no problems of this kind with this one.

the only disadvantage i can think of, comparing it to some other multieffect, like say the pod, is that you have to turn your computer on, in order to use it.
i also like it for just jamming with headphones, if you don't want to keep everybody awake at night.

that's about it.
as soon as you register with line6 you may download the latest software and you're good to go.
(the basic software is free, didn't care for the more fancy one)

and look for something used, because it does the same job at 30% of the price.

Paradiso

Andrei,

one more question. do you use this software as a vst or just as a standalone? I like to use vsts so I can have everything in one spot and record what I want.

I also noticed that the toneport is discontinued. I guess that's why you have to find it used haha.

Post to Thread