Head>Cab speaker cable questions

Updated
ozzuk1
I currently have a probably piss poor Stagg cable that I used for my Rack setup, however I would like to invest ina better speaker cable and eventually get a better cab too.. So what companies do you reccomend I've always been happy with the Pwaves cables I've had and I can get one of them, however I know that others do make speaker cables I dont know if the boutique type manufactures make specific cables... Any reccomendations?
Pushead

Cable

Canare 4S8 cable in whatever length you want,

Connectors

Neutrik/Rean NYS225L connectors

Big wire and connectors keep your asshole band mates from using them as patch cords or instrument cables. Plus there are sound and resistance reasons, too. But mostly because everyone else (that I know) is stupid.

ozzuk1

Cheers pus doubt ill be able to go canare as I dont know If I can get that stuff over in the uk, plus I dont really want to be soldering...

Sucks about the asshole bandmates, that msut really get your goat when they just take things because they cant bring their own stuff..

jet66

The most important thing is that the wire gauge is big enough for the distance vs. power you are pushing. A 16 ga wire is the smallest I go with, for the typical 2-3' (1 m) cable for an amp head to cab. If you have access to a PW for a reasonable price, go for it. There are 'better quality' cables, but I don't know that you can really hear a difference as long as your gauge is adequate or better for your needs.

ozzuk1

The shortest PWave cable I could find was around 5 meteres i'll check what gauge it is...

I think the current one is 1.5 meteres which is mroe than long enough i'm guessing you use a 10plus meter one for stereo cabs across the stage...

Cheers guys...

Sixstringhotshot

There are 'better quality' cables, but I don't know that you can really hear a difference as long as your gauge is adequate or better for your needs.

This. I bought a $100 instrument cable and was amazed at the tonal difference, so I bought a $100 speaker cable. Couldn't tell the diff.|I

Velt017

I have a big thick Peavey.

Its never given me an ounce of trouble.

ozzuk1

Ohh err velt think you could have added in some detail to that post...

We'll i've plugged it into the current cheapo stagg cable via the 16ohm mono, it also has a speakon cable if you have the cab modified for speakon apparently the same thing Iommi has, and apparently his tech modded it too..

But the current one will hold up untill I can afford a new better cable, will probably go with pwaves as i've had quite a few cables and they are/were all solid...

Cheers for the help guys...

Kannon

I use LiveWire elite series cables. They're basically like Mogami silver series cables but without the molded plastic dealies. 12ga, heavy duty, zero issues, gigantic connector plugs.

Post to Thread