My 5150 is starting to sound weird...

Updated
Imperial Greg
So my amp lately has been really quiet. Like I have to crank it to volume 7 to sound as loud as I use to get it at 3. I'm not sure what the problem would be. Is it just the tubes? or does it sound like something else? the tubes haven't ever been changed in the amp.
jet66

Tubes are (almost) always the first thing to try, especially when their age is suspect or unknown.

Justinschut

Yeah I'd go for the tubes

ozzuk1

Could mean the Power tubes are on the way out...

Thats usually the most common cause of weired volume issues on tube amp's..

load more replies (1 of 1)
eetfuk14

All the tubes, always replace in sets IMO

jet66

I can usually get away with changing pre-amp tubes every other time I change power tubes, but I usually replace my power tubes every 6-9 months, with a lot of use. Except for the phase inverter tube (considered a pre-amp tube) that gets changed with the power tubes too. It will usually end up as a spare.

If the amp is over 1-2 years old and never been retubed, it probably needs all of them replaced.

Grindting

C'omon Eileen :lol

ozzuk1

Actually I cant reccomend specific tubes, however anything by ruby jj or groove tubes seems to get a lot of love, i'd avoid EH tubes like the plauge though..

Maybe you should give doug from dougstubes a shout he might be able to suggest what you need for the full set...

You may not need to replace the fullset of preamp tubes but if you are getting it done you mightaswell do it all at once...

Velt017

All Peavey amps I've had have blown JJ's up really quickly.

Groove Tubes seem to last forever though at least in the Peaveys

Edit: the JJs sound good though.

jet66

JJ's are usually 'fine.' I've heard good (and bad) about the TAD's, but most have been favorable. No idea on the Mullards, but they seem to be rated pretty well. A lot of people (myself included) like S.E.D. tubes, considered to be 'the real deal' Svetlana Winged C's vs. the brand name Svetlanas. It has to do with who bought the name and such. I also like some of the Sovtek power tubes, like their 5881WXT.

For the most part, any decent brand should do just fine, but there are subtleties to be had in experimenting with different brands in different amps.

gorsch

TAD's were the shit in my 5150II.......until one failed. But damn they sounded so good I'd still buy another quad. I did get a lot of use outta them. And mine would glow SOOO blue (i removed the faceplate....now owned by xchumfiestax). Really tightened up my 5150.

Post to Thread