Engl Screamer 50 Combo

Updated
sturner
Anyone have any experience with this amp? Looking for a quality combo amp with a wide range of tone from clean to heavy crunch. I'm also interested in the Peavey 6505+ combo amp but a little concerned about all of the comments regarding the clean channel capability. Any others I should be looking at? Staying under $1300 price point. Thanks for any advice.
BLS

I had one, great sounding amp! I knida wish I still had it. If your checking out the Engls you should also check out the Thunder 50 which is another great sounding combo.

tollund

Any others I should be looking at? Staying under $1300 price point.

I've owned the ENGL Screamer and whilst it was so-so in terms of tone, it had twice had major power supply problems which needed repairs so I ended up selling it (and it was brand new when I got it).

My advice, save up an extra $450 and get a new Splawn. Or secondhand one if you don't want to spend over $1300.

Zero

Yeah, then instead of transformer problems, you can have fire problems :lol

I guess that issue has been resolved in recent years, though.

ozzuk1

I was really interested in the screamer combo when I was first looking into getting a valve amp, so glad I never bought unplayed, the clean channel is completely sterile and bland, the crunch isnt terrible but I wasent cranking it to really talk about the lower-mid gain tones in depth..

The lead was fizzy Similar tone or gain structure as the fireball and powerball and not great not worth the price imo.....

The 6505 combos are supposed to be a lot cleaner use the volume knob and you'll be fine... some lower gain preamp tubes in certain positions would help with a better clean on that too..

load more replies (2 of 2)
Post to Thread