Boost ODs & noise gates: Making the choice

Updated
capoeiraesp
I've got a new rig on the way (blackface dual rec & engl 2x12) and I'm looking at grabbing some pedals to go with it. I'm thinking mxr gt-od or maxon od808. Also wanting to get a noise gate but I've next to no experience. Opinions and experiences?
Nagash

How many pedals will you have between your guitar and your amp ? Because if you have only a few, a noise gate might net even be necessary. The noise comes from the long way between your guitar and the amp, if you only have one or two pedals in there, there's not much noise to be created, especially if your pedals are true bypass. I'm not sure but I think the MXR is true bypass, and I couldn't tell about the Maxon.

As for talking noise gates, IF you need/want one, I've heard good things about the ISP Decimator and I'd advise you to stay away from the Boss Noise Suppressor (it kills the noise but also a bit of your sound).

Velt017

ISP Decimator ftw. And yeah a OD pedal in front of a high gain head is going to create noise and feedback, get a noise suppressor.

The GT-OD is great, the Maxon is nice too, but not really $60 better than the GT-OD. I kinda liked my GT-OD better TBH

Cryptos

Maxon od-9 .

IceSlicer

MXR GT-OD ftw

Velt017

And get an ISP Decimator. Best noise gate pedal in existence.

cbbass123

Yup, I have a roadster and a maxon od808. Combination rocks. Amp alone, with no boost, the amp is quiet as shit on all 4 channels. With maxon on, for channel 3 &4, it adds alot of noise n feedback if you don't know how to control it. To kill the noise, the ISP decimator is the best noise reduction pedal. I run a midi rack controlled rig so one button can change to channel 4, turn on maxon od808 loop and activiate noise gate at same time. Just be aware without this kind of setup, you'll be tap dancing to activate all.

load more replies (1 of 1)
capoeiraesp

No need! I had a guy on here who wanted to trade his Mark V for the dual rec and she's just sweet as she is!

marcy_marc2008

dude my advice on this is

go with the 808 you wont be disappointed.

and for the noise gate don't be fooled about all the bad things said about the noise suppressor in comparison to the isp. i have both and i still prefer my noise suppressor.
The ns2 has way more to play with than the isp. the build quality of the isp is miles better and will probably last you longer but for a strong all round and versatile noise gate you cant beat the ns2.

gorsch

dude my advice on this is

go with the 808 you wont be disappointed.

and for the noise gate don't be fooled about all the bad things said about the noise suppressor in comparison to the isp. i have both and i still prefer my noise suppressor.
The ns2 has way more to play with than the isp. the build quality of the isp is miles better and will probably last you longer but for a strong all round and versatile noise gate you cant beat the ns2.

agreed. My switch recently when out on my NS2. But luckily I dont need a gate anymore. all the complaints about it altering your tone is minimal in my experience. Cuts a little "hiss" or "Fizz" from your high end. The "hiss" or "fizz" you dont want anyway. And it's a noise suppressor. it's supposed to somewhat alter your tone. the only ISP suppressor I find useful is the rack one with 2 sides. if you can aford that go for it. if not, get the NS 2. You wont be disappointed unless you dont know how to use it.

Post to Thread