Wah recomendations?

Updated
David_VI
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a wah pedal, but not sure which. I play an EX400 and Horizon with FR, mainly metal, european for example, power metal, heavy metal, bits of melodic death and folk metal. Also I have a great interest in Progressive rock/metal. What kind of wah would suit this style? I know the crybaby comes in various models, each one offering more customization via pots but still i'm not sure if i would even use them... So your advice would be very useful :) Then out to try some! David
DeathIsMyJustice

What kind of budget you got in mind? You can pay what you like for Wahs, I would recommend the Ibanez Weeping Demon as a solid wah for the money you can get all kinds of Crybabys but they all have very similar tone.

capoeiraesp

I tend to disagree about crybaby's.
I've recently acquired an CAE m-404 wah. It's incredibly versatile and stands out from other crybaby's.
I have also owned the CFH wah, ZW wah, & fasel & non-fasel std crybaby and they each have their own individuality. You can even check my video on youtube comparing 3 of the above wahs.
I recently sold my Morley Tremonti which has a very modern sweep; quite aggressive with a sweet mid range. I highly recommend the Tremonti.

Velt017

I dig the Zakk Wylde crybaby. Its very agressive and keeps your tone very thick. I feel like alot of the morley pedals (mainly the bad horsie 1 and 2) can make your tone sound thin with the wah on. Never tried the tremonti, but have heard good things.

I love my Zakk cry baby, but there are lots of other good signature crybabies too. The slash one is particularly cool as well.

Gfunk

Vox.

load more replies (1 of 1)
blistered earth

morley tremonti power wah
jeff loomis uses one

David_VI

I tried out a Vox wah which was cheap.. but found I didn't really know what to do with it... I'm not sure if a wah suits my playing.. yet.

I'd spend anything depending how good the wah is I guess. I'll check out the recommendations given :)

Have to find some wah examples used in metal, power metal and such.. ive never really noticed the wah in what i listen to :\

Nagash

Michael Amott of Arch Enemy is also a heavy wah user, and he uses a Vox

Zilla

CAE Wah

Bob Sacamano

Get a Kirk Hammett wah he is known for his wah everyones always bitching about it, I love it if you play metallica stuff its great for it and other metal stuff.

David_VI

I don't really listen to Metallica but i'll have to check out some solos to hear how Kirk uses the wah. Any recommendations?

Sadly I won't be getting a wah until after xmas, turns out I spend all my student loan already :lol

Justinschut

I didnt like the Wylde one too much, but the Hammett one was pretty good

Velt017

I didnt like the Wylde one too much, but the Hammett one was pretty good

The wylde wah is definately different. I thought the hammett sounded too close to what a regular crybaby sounds like. I liked the way the Wylde sounded with notes in a lower register, if I was into the meedly-meedly stuff more I'd probably have gone with the Dime or the Hammett. I generally only use my wah for riffs and lower solos.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Zilla

CAE wah

metalhobo

I bought the CFH wah because it looks cool.

Sounds pretty good, too.

rumblebox

i'm probably going with the jerry cantrell signature cry baby with a mid scoop. right now i have a basic standard cry baby and it kinda sucks. not adjustable.

gorsch

i'm probably going with the jerry cantrell signature cry baby with a mid scoop. right now i have a basic standard cry baby and it kinda sucks. not adjustable.

I'd think you could get pretty close if not exactly like the Jerry Cantrell with either the 535Q or Dime CFH. I use the 535Q and it actually came with settings to try in the manual. Jerry Cantrell was one and I thought it nailed it when I would jam along with Dirt. I would just get the CFH tho now because the fine tune knob really allows even more tweaking. I really liked it but cant justify spending that much on basically the same thing I have, plus one knob.

Havent played the JC wah but I'd bet its pretty much the same as the 535Q on "his settings." The CFH and 535Q have way more options too.

OutlawTorn

Then out to try some!

see all other posts...then do as you stated, it all depends on personal preference to the sound your looking for ;)

slovakzombiehero

If you hate the ears of everyone around you, go for a Slash wah.

gorsch

If you hate the ears of everyone around you, go for a Slash wah.

lol.............thats how I felt when I played it. Well with the distortion switch in anyway. Without that it wasnt bad, but basically a 535Q. so yeah.....

slovakzombiehero

That's exactly why I love it. :lol

Zilla

six morley power wahs with the boost knob maxed in a row get a section of 2x4 so you can control all six of the treadles.

loversmoon

i personally like the Jerry Cantrell wah. Nice but not overpowering. For metal tho I would say maybe the WYlde wah.

gorsch

i personally like the Jerry Cantrell wah. Nice but not overpowering. For metal tho I would say maybe the WYlde wah.

everyone loves the Wylde wah lol. I didnt like it actually for metal and thought it was better on a cleaner tone. I always seemed to notice that since the lows (heel down) are so........not sure how to describe it..."gutteral"?....."vocal" maybe??....anyway....(for those that havent heard one......it sounds just like on the albums or live) the lows are so intense that you drop right out of the mix. I'd be doing leads and you would only be able to make out the notes when I was toe down. Tried adjusting the pot to have more of the high sweep but just couldnt get it right.

I have one of those, a 535Q, and a regular Dunlop now. Had a Vox 847 (i think it was?), an original Vox (from pops), a Vox Clyde McCoy (<<

Post to Thread