Single channel amp head ?

Updated
Nagash
I'm looking for a tube guitar head that has only one CLEAN channel and around 100 watt power. I'm a metal player but since I never use the tons of controls on my amps, I prefer a simple head and have all the distortion coming out of a pedal. Talking money, I'd prefer it to stay below 2000 bucks, even below 1000 if possible. Any ideas ?
DeathIsMyJustice

Why not get a one channel Hi Gain amp and use the drive from the amp if you want a simplistic approach? Try a Laney GH50L; a great single channel rock/metal amp or maybe a second hand Marshall JCM800.

Gfunk

I prefer a simple head and have all the distortion coming out of a pedal.

Why?

Nagash

Thanks DIMJ I know about the Laney's, I like Laney and this aprticular head too, but it's not what I'm looking for.

@GFunk that's a good question. Right now I have a Laney LV300 with 3 footswitchable channels, I use the clean channel for cleans (obviously), the first drive channel for rhythms and the second drive channel for leads (pushing the volume and the gain up). But when I'll switch to a bigger amp (100 W head and 4x12 cabs) I'd prefer to get a head with only one channel because it's cheaper and lighter than the huge 4-channel heads. And because it's always easier to find one or two distortion pedals that have a sound I like than finding a big head that 1) has good sound on ALL its channels (I need at least three) 2) still is in my budget and 3) doesn't weigh a ton.

I'd prefer to have a one channel head for 1000 bucks and my metal muff than a triple rec for 3000 bucks, cause I'm always a bit short on cash etc.

It's just an idea I have now, maybe I'll find the perfect sounding amp one day.

Velt017

I don't think what you are looking for exists really.

You might just want to pick up a JCM 800 or something and go from there. I don't think I've ever seen a single channel guitar head that was meant specifically for cleans... usually the clean only stuff is a combo.

Nagash

Okay... I'll start looking then ^^. Don't need it now anyway, and I have not enough cash.

Next thing I'm going to buy is a RR24, but this will have to wait til next year -__-'

Kannon

Why not get a 2 channel head with switchable gain stages, like a Marshall JVM210H? 100w, all tube, 2 channels (with 3 different gain levels, MIDI programmable). EXTREMELY easy to use (to the point of being idiot-proof almost), and sounds great. $1600 and under most places, 1300 some places. Even cheaper used.

Grindting

if you have 2000 to spend (which you said you did.)

you can Easily find an awesome 3 channel tube head with 3 good sounding channels on the used market

do some research yourself and have a look

Zilla

Ampeg V2 or V4. Laney AOR 50 or AOR 100. Peavey Windsor, Butcher, or VTM60 or VTM120.

Do it.

.dave

VTM60 or VTM120.
+1
Do it.
+1

gorsch

Peavey valveking head

-lightweight (not sure why thats important as they all weight about the same, did notice its lighter then my XXX)

- great clean channel (the gain sounds great too, maybe not Engl great but very good still)

- technically can have 3 channels (clean, mild break up, lead)

-$529 new .........@200 used

no need to spend $2000 for an amp when you wont be using all the benefits of an amp that costs 2k.

Nagash

I never said I have 2000 bucks, I said I'm short on cash and therfore didn't want anything more expensive that 2000 ! And even if $2000 makes roughly €1500, the european price will be more like €2000 (the shit is expensive here).

Since I change my mind very easily, let's say I want a multi-channel amp. If I do so, I'll take 4 channels : one clean, one overdriven, one metal distortion for rhythm, and one metal distortion boosted for leads (volume and gain cranked higher than the rhythm channel). I still want all-tube and around 100 watts of power.

If I have four channels, I'd like 4 independant gain controls (that's easy) and 4 independant EQs (not easy). No need for reverb or any effects.

There are a few amp heads that I find interesting :
The Mesa Boogie Rectifiers : I tried the triple rec at a music shop and the sound was very muddy and shitty. Might have been the guitar's battery, a bad cable or the amp in itself. Tell me more about the Recs please !
The Marshall heads : I don't want any Marshalls yet for one problem. I know the MG series are shit, but I have seen that on the MGs, when you increase gain, it also increases treble, which makes the whole EQ go nuts. Do the Marshall gtube heads have the same problem ?
The Laney heads : I love Laney so I will probably get into these ones again.
The ENGL heads : Invader, Balls...

If you know other 100W full tube heads with four completely independant channels and less than 2000 bucks, let me know ! Thanks

EvolutionVII

Since I change my mind very easily, let's say I want a multi-channel amp. If I do so, I'll take 4 channels : one clean, one overdriven, one metal distortion for rhythm, and one metal distortion boosted for leads (volume and gain cranked higher than the rhythm channel). I still want all-tube and around 100 watts of power.

Get the EVH III and use a pedal for the overdriven sound in the clean channel, or simply turn the gain knob on the amp.

I played one a few weeks ago and if it wasn't for the money I would own it by now.
The red channel is simply mind blowing.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Velt017

I never said I have 2000 bucks, I said I'm short on cash and therfore didn't want anything more expensive that 2000 ! And even if $2000 makes roughly €1500, the european price will be more like €2000 (the shit is expensive here).

If I have four channels, I'd like 4 independant gain controls (that's easy) and 4 independant EQs (not easy). No need for reverb or any effects.

There are a few amp heads that I find interesting :
The Mesa Boogie Rectifiers : I tried the triple rec at a music shop and the sound was very muddy and shitty. Might have been the guitar's battery, a bad cable or the amp in itself. Tell me more about the Recs please !
The Marshall heads : I don't want any Marshalls yet for one problem. I know the MG series are shit, but I have seen that on the MGs, when you increase gain, it also increases treble, which makes the whole EQ go nuts. Do the Marshall gtube heads have the same problem ?
The Laney heads : I love Laney so I will probably get into these ones again.
The ENGL heads : Invader, Balls...

If you know other 100W full tube heads with four completely independant channels and less than 2000 bucks, let me know ! Thanks

The Rectifiers are awesome. If you sounded muddy and shitty, you were doing it wrong. Don't dime the gain, there's more gain on tap than anyone needs and diming the gain, scooping the mids and diming bass and treble will lead to shitty tones. With a nice OD to boost and tighten plus maybe a chorus and a delay or something to liquid up the clean channel a bit, you really can have just about any tone you want. I have a Dual Rectifier and I honestly couldn't be happier with the tone I'm getting out of it, and I know there are lots of other guys who feel the same way.

The Marshall stuff is also awesome. The DSL, TSL and JVMs are outstanding high gain heads. Again, needs tweaked a bit, but with a pedal or 2 really has limitless possibilities.

I've always really liked the way ENGLs sound recorded. The Powerball and the Fireball are probably 2 of the best recorded amps I've ever heard. However, in a live situation I have never liked them. They just don't seem as in your face as a Mesa or a Marshall. They tend to get buried in the mix live. Might seriously be the best recorded tones I've ever heard though, listen to the new Exodus record, massive, killer tones.

col

This is why you always, always, always buy amps used, in person, cash in hand.

Easiest way to not get ripped off and you'll be able sell the amp if it's not for you without losing any money.

Ebay through reputable vendors and payment via Paypal is a pretty safe option too.

frantic77

4 channels?
just get a Vh4

hitiuga

Op is an idiot

imo

Nagash

Op is an idiot

imo

fuck yourself and die

imo

got it ?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Grindting

Op is an idiot

imo

go fuck yourself and die,

got it?

although i agree, he is a fucking idiot and ignores everything that the informed people posting in this thread have advised him. completely ignored and disagreed, even though he has no clue

single channel clean amp head $2000, for using distortion pedals up front

:lol

load more replies (2 of 2)
Nagash

Velt, do you know where the problem of the ENGLs for live comes from ? Do you think I should make a special thread about dunno what (amp tubes, cab speakers, ???) to get a more precise answer ?

Velt017

Velt, do you know where the problem of the ENGLs for live comes from ? Do you think I should make a special thread about dunno what (amp tubes, cab speakers, ???) to get a more precise answer ?

I think its just the amount of usable mids. They sound relatively scooped out in recordings. I don't know what you had before, but I don't know if I'd jump right into buying an ENGL from low grade laney tube heads.

I'd say find a decent guitar center or just a big music store in general and try out a mesa dual rec and a Mark V if possible (the Mark V is expensive, but is the last amp you will ever need for anything, ever) and then a Marshall DSL and a JVM. Hopefully they have one of those used. The used DSL should go for about a grand and the used Dual rec about $1200 or so. The JVM and Mark V are more expensive, but they are more amp, so it makes sense. I would also recommend having them let you try out a few overdrives with those amps as well. Not that you would need one, but they are definitely a nice thing to have with a high gain tube head since you will be able to keep the gain at a reasonable non-mushy level and get a boost when you need it (or if you are like me, all the time, just because)

It really boils down to whether you like the EL34 stuff better or the 6L6 stuff better. Now there are 6550s etc, but for the most part a good starting point is Mesa or Marshall, at least IMO.

Peavey makes some really nice stuff too, but its not in the same league (again IMO) with the Mesa or Marshall stuff. Just do your homework before you walk in wanting to look at expensive amps (starting threads is a good start).

As far as cabs go, anything with vintage 30s is good as well as stuff with GT-75s. The Marshall cabs go for about $400 used in the states and I've seen Mesa cabs at $400-500, but see what is available in your area. I wouldn't recommend buying a cab brand new as you will pay out the nose for it and if you decide you don't like it or want to change it up down the line, you will lose out big time.

Nagash

my laney is not low grade ^^. I know it's cheap but it's really killer XD

Thanks a lot Velt !

esp_gaijin

you don't have to buy a one channel clean head, you could buy any head that has a good channel and just not use the other channels,

the engl powerball and fireball have awesome clean channels; the fireball only has 2 channels and can found used fairly cheap.

the roland jc120 heads are readily found used and only go for around $350 range afaik, and are famous for their cleans, but are solid state not tube.

mesa stiletto amps (at least my deuce 100w anyway) have a great clean sound, this amp now comes in a 50w called ace which might be found cheaper. it also comes in a 150w called trident but more costly.

i use a mesa stiletto deuce head for only its clean channel and love it.
i use a splawn promod for only its overdrive channel and love it.
i use a bogner uberschall for only its overdrive channel and love it.

i have 3 amps because i didn't find multiple channels on any amp that sounded "best" to me, but this makes for a costly and complex rig.

Post to Thread