Effects loop/Switching question

Updated
eetfuk14
Ok all, so I'm pretty settled on the 3120/XXX to replace my junky Crate. (Thanks to all for the input!!) Now I am in need of some wisdom in my effects loop. I definitely want a tube screamer in front of my signal. I like a little chorus in my clean channel, just to beef it up some. My question is is there any way to dedicate the chorus only to the clean side and not have to switch it on and off when I change channels on the amp. I'd like for my channel switching to be single stomp and not be having to turn the chorus on/off every time I switch channels.
jet66

You'll need some sort of midi programmable unit to do such a thing. Something like the Voodoo Lab Commander coupled with one or more Pedal Switchers can do what you want, but the price adds up. Not necessarily a cheaper alternative, but non-midi units are also available, are such products like the WOBO Remote stuff. There are other makers out there, those are just two I know of offhand.

eetfuk14

You'll need some sort of midi programmable unit to do such a thing. Something like the Voodoo Lab Commander coupled with one or more Pedal Switchers can do what you want, but the price adds up. Not necessarily a cheaper alternative, but non-midi units are also available, are such products like the WOBO Remote stuff. There are other makers out there, those are just two I know of offhand.

Thats what I was afraid of. I don't think the 3120 is MIDI switchable, I guess what I could do for now is run the clean tones thru the Crate and my dirty stuff through the PV and use an AB switch til I can build a WOBO set up

jet66

Some of the midi stuff like the Voodoo Lab's gear will work with non-midi amps, as well. The Commander can just control the Switchers, which will allow you to have effect + channel combos change at the tap of a button. Some of the loops in the Switcher can be programmed to operate channel selection, using just a normal 1/4" cable like a normal footswitch.

There is another unit similar to the WOBO, but it's all-in-one and a little cheaper, but I can't recall the brand at the moment. OK, maybe it's not cheaper... GigRig gear.

I was thinking there was another one like these, but for about $400. I'll be damned if I recall the name...

Velt017

Or... you could just turn your shit on and off appropriately. Pedal tap dancing is an art form.

eetfuk14

Looking at the pedal that comes with the 3120 I think I might be able to kill my clean channel and effects loop in one stomp of the foot

jet66

If it don't cost a lot of money, it ain't no fun. :p

Grindting

If it don't cost a lot of money, it ain't no fun. :p
+1 :rollin

in the guitar world. you'll never be happy until you get the best

eetfuk14

Very true, but I kinda do like having a place to live and not having to take the bus.

jet66

You're a guitar player: That's what girlfriends are for. :p

eetfuk14

Haha, yeah , I'm sure she'd looove doing my 85 mile commute to work. If I didn't have big boy bills I'd blow my whole check on cool guitar shit the 1st and 15th of every month. Then I could actually own ESP's, but LTD's take care of my GAS for the time being. I am saving for a custom shop EC though. It's gonna be sick.

jet66

Honestly, I hate spending 'too much' on something that I don't realistically need. (Not counting having a dozen guitars and half a dozen amps.) The switchers are nice, but I'd find a lot of better uses for that $600-$800 than just being able to push one button and change channels and different pedal on/off configurations. If I made my living doing it, then it might be a worthwhile investment. I'd rather get a Strymon blueSky Reverberator and a DejaVibe2.

esp_gaijin

Reverberator hey my newly minted ex gf has one a those.

....wait....

...shit.. :mad:

eetfuk14

I bought my gf one to keep her company while I'm at work

jet66

I remembered! Octaswitch.

eetfuk14

I really like that, especially since its analog. Really what I'm looking for is something to ABY my heads and isolate the effects I want for each channel, so I think this will work for me for sure, I just need to know if it has ABY capabilities. It looks like it should be able to no problem. After my research, my set up is going to be 6560/XXX stereo'd into my cab, XXX for cleans, both for rhythm, 6560 for any lead stuff I play... I want minimal stomp boxes. A reverb, delay and chorus are all I really need.

Velt017

A reverb, delay and chorus are all I really need.

You need an overdrive. I promise. Get a good one and set it to just boost or with minimal gain. It will turn almost any rig into the most versatile rig you have ever owned.

Seriously, I have a Mesa Dual rec with a analog delay, chorus, overdrive, noise gate and wah. I can get any tone I could possibly want from crystal clean, to texas blues to classic rock to high gain shred. The only thing I don't have set for a few foot clicks is classic rock... but its only a knob turn away.

I really need to get some clips going, if only I had a decent way to record...

jet66

I don't get the impression it does ABY. It just looks like it can be used to feed two amps from one stereo pedal in loop 8.

eetfuk14

Hmmm well I want something I can ABY, I may just be stuck getting an ABY pedal and doing my channel/fx switching from the amps switching pedal.

esp_gaijin

Hmmm well I want something I can ABY, I may just be stuck getting an ABY pedal and doing my channel/fx switching from the amps switching pedal.
i don't know if this is of any use but i'll toss it out there anyway,

i had a '65 bandmaster with a "normal" input and a "vibrato" input,
it effectively was 2 preamps that fed 1 power amp, housed in one amp head.

i used an aby and used it like a 2 channel amp,
additionally i had an overdrive in the "normal" side and a chorus in the "vibrato side" and another 1button footswitch turned the vibrato on/off.

this worked well.

2ndly,
had a bassman reissue which has normal and bright inputs;
i would put an aby in front of that and put an overdrive pedal in the darker input (normal) and effectively make it a 2 channel amp.

additionally it had a 2nd input for each of these sides, 4 input jacks in all,
the 2nd jacks for each side were simply lower in volume,
i would run aby's to send the guitar signal to a delay pedal and into the 2nd lower vol input on each side.
i could turn delay on/off via function on the delay, or by clicking the aby.

it all functioned pretty well, it simply was a lot of wiring.

Post to Thread