Peavey Vypyr series.......thoughts?

Updated
Peavey Vypyr series.......thoughts?
Just looking for thoughts, comments or reviews on this Peavey series. Thinking about getting the head or the 2x12 combo.
Tsmith541

The all tube head is great. It's got all the built in effects and everything, but getting the foot pedal is a must if you play live with it.
8.5/10

break

I recently got a Vypyr 75 with the Sanpera II pedal and I've been loving it.

Coming from Line6 gear to the Vypyr stuff, it's a HUGE step up in tone IMO. The depth of the Vypyr tone is miles ahead of the Spider stuff, in particular the 6505 tone model sounds exactly the same as the 6505 112 combo (I tested them side by side and was amazed).

matt b.

Thats kind of what I thought (and was hoping for). I currently use a Line6 Flextone II 1/2 stack and I like the fact it has built in effects and other features but it does lack the warmth of the tubes.....esp at higher volume.....no punch just loud as hell. I have looked at the JSX, XXX & 6505+ heads but for the $$ I was thinking the Vypyr series is the way to go. Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

garyjfoster

sounds pretty good

matt b.

That sounds damn good to me. I know the vypyr might not be a huge step from the flextone but I hate that the flextone has no warmth to it, like I said its loud but no punch to it. Plus most places that I would buy it from has the good old 30 money back guarantee.....which helps.

matt b.

Well now I understand why you might think the flextone might be better......I thought ALL vypyr amps were tube amps. I am looking at the 120 series, weather it be a head or a 2x12 combo and since i didnt look at other models I assumed ALL the vypyr series amps were tube.

avi8r2005

I have a Vypyr 30 whic is a cool little amp. the effects seem to be a notch above the line 6 stuff of the same price point amps. Some of the models seem really bright though and a bit brittle for lack of better words. It's loud as shit too for what it is. I am currently just using mine as a stereo part for my cleans out of my Mark IV using a stereo chorus pedal, which sounds pretty cool. Using the Vypyr for the delays, with the chorus pedal on the right side and the Mark IV as purely chorus and built in reverb.

load more replies (1 of 1)
matt b.

Well heres the latest, I went to my local GC to try out the 2x12 amp today and when I got there they had a 2x12 and a 1x12 new and a 2x12 used (all the tube models). I plug into the new 2x12, filp the power switch and nothing so I tried about 5 different outlets and it wouldnt power up, even the sales guy (not much help) couldnt get it to power up. I moved to the 1x12 it did power up but it had such a high pitch piercing sound you couldnt even play it...again the same guy said the tubes might be shot on this one. Last try now so I go to the used 2x12 and the guy plugs it in and guess what...nothing happened AGAIN!! Couldnt get either 2x12 to power up. So I tried 3 different ones and got nothing out of it, lol. At this point I might start looking at the Line6 tube head instead.

Velt017

For the cost of the tube ones its best to just search out a 5150 or 6505 combo used or a JSX or XXX combo.

matt b.

For the cost of the tube ones its best to just search out a 5150 or 6505 combo used or a JSX or XXX combo.

I really want the head more than the combo, I was just trying them out cause they dont have the head in stock. Also I was looking at a 6505+ but for the price of that head plus buying some effects is way more than the tube 120 vypyr head. Thats why I was going between the vypyr and bogner/line6.

Newfs

Have you considered the VOX VT? Its a great modeler as well. I have the 30 and was very impressed with it. Far superior modeling and tone as to the Line 6 crap. Never tried the Peavey though, as even last year when I was looking reliability was a huge issue.

The Vox uses an EH 12AX7 to shape the tone and character of the sound to give you a tube feel. Id have to say they did a real good job with it.

The Cali Metal is a real close copy of the Mesa Recto Vintage channel. And from what I hear others are really impressed with many of the other modelings it has to offer. The diezel model has great tone as well.

It wouldnt hurt to give it a try...

matt b.

OK, so I puller the trigger on the Vypyr Head and so far its not a let down by any means, only had a half hour to toy with it but I have all day tomorrow so I will test the hell out of it. I can say it certianly has that punch I was looking for in the distortion channels. Plus I bought it from MF so I have 30 days to make sure its the right choice.

matt b.

I would like to cause this thing has some great sounds along with tone but I dont know how to post vid clips, sorry

Post to Thread