Not Your Average metal Gear / Setup

Updated
xZYRYABx
Last night I jammed with another guitarist here in Boston, and he had a pretty interesting setup for his gear: Parker Fly > Roland VG synth > PA ....and it sounded AWESOME!!!! I was really quite shocked at everything....first of all the PF is such a weird guitar its tough to get my mind around it....the carbon-fibre fretboard was enough to make lose time!!! The VG just blew my mind away....I had seen it in action before but never for metal and I never expected the tone to be soooo good. Im not saying it'll rival an Engl Savag but it was pretty damn tight and heavy as hell....AND he didnt use an amp (well....I know nothing about PAs so maybe the board he plugs into has a power-amp component, not sure rly) but in any case the idea that u need EMGz, a "metal" guitar, a loud and gainy tube-amp to get some decent brootz is kinda reliced now....he told me when he plays shows he plugs straight into the mixer.....he can even plug the mic XLR into the VG and use the virtual mic and he said it kicks ass!! As for me, my setup last night was: ESP M-II > Boss GT-10 > PA and it sounded like shit!! I hate having to re-setup the GT-10 everytime I play on a new PA/Amp....a pain in the ass and makes me dread the day that I have to go on stage with new sound gear and have to set up my tone all over again...it took me hours to tweak my GT-10 to sound awesome with my Line 6 Flextone III XL.....how do you guys do it besides bringing your own full set of gear and just micing your own amp?
sirsloop

lol... BSOD during your first song...

OutlawTorn

^
:lol

DeathIsMyJustice

lol, ITS NOT OVER YET SNAKE!

Anyhow I to dislike the Boss GT-10's tone. The FXs are good, the amp models sound far to "fake"

Sixstringhotshot

No matter what your rig is, you are at the mercy of the soundguy and the PA system at the venue. I've spent just as many hours tweaking my tube amp to sound awesome, and it never matters because the soundtard's understanding of mic techniques are limited to "mic goes in front of speakers".

xZYRYABx

No matter what your rig is, you are at the mercy of the soundguy and the PA system at the venue. I've spent just as many hours tweaking my tube amp to sound awesome, and it never matters because the soundtard's understanding of mic techniques are limited to "mic goes in front of speakers".

thats the main reason he sticks to the VG...he says the soundtechs always freak out when he plugs straight into the board but in the end he always gets the best tone cause its kinda idiot proof on their end....

Post to Thread