How did I blow 5 preamp tubes???

Updated
How did I blow 5 preamp tubes???
OK so I didn't do it, I have a Mode Four, but the other guitarist in my band has a Mesa Dual Rectifier and he managed to blow out all 5 preamp tubes after owning it for less than a week (granted, he did buy it used, but it worked when we left the store) So what did he do wrong and how does he keep from doing this again? His and my worry are that there is something wrong with the amp causing the tubes to blow.
ozzuk1

If the preamp tubes are blowing i'd be worried, if he did something dumb and the powertubes went ie not letting it warm up etc..

I'd be worried there is something wrong internally with a resistor or capacitor, it's a bit unusual for the preamp tubes to just blow, are you 100% sure it's the pre tubes and not the powertubes?...

Just saying the pre tubes have blown wont give anyone an idea pics of the the board would be more helpfull....

marauder

Gain dimed on a recto will kill preamp tubes, especially when the treble is also high, it mentions it in the manual.

He's unlikely to have do this as the tones produced will have destroyed his hearing first.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Tegamal

Gain dimed?! Fuck dude, dial it back to around 2 o' clock.

OutlawTorn

Gain dimed?! Fuck dude, dial it back to around 2 o' clock.

+1 dimed out gain sounds like muddy shit i really hate going into stores and or band rooms and seeing gain sections turned to 10!

load more replies (1 of 1)
Tegamal

I usually have my gain around 7-8, my guitar vol is usually on about 5 (no feedback), I never turn anything full tilt, except my Tone knob. Who even uses those things?

TheDevilHimself

I usually have my gain around 7-8, my guitar vol is usually on about 5 (no feedback), I never turn anything full tilt, except my Tone knob. Who even uses those things?

You don't need to have the tone pot dialed down to get a benefit from it actually. ;-) Think of it more as a way to dampen icepick highs - it does that even fully turned up.

Post to Thread