Wireless systems

Updated
morphius1
Are they really worth buying for gigging? I've been looking at an AKG WMS 40 Pro Set Flexx for £139 but I'm just contemplating whether they work well/fit onto you properly Thanks
Mike E Majik

Cheaper old-school ones suck ass. But those new digital ones are good stuff.

WildeStarr

Cheaper old-school ones suck ass. But those new digital ones are good stuff.

I have an old Nady 201, works great.

load more replies (1 of 1)
vitod

Are they really worth buying for gigging?

I've been looking at an AKG WMS 40 Pro Set Flexx for £139 but I'm just contemplating whether they work well/fit onto you properly

Thanks

I have that and it works great!

I, Voyager

apparently the frequencies that wireless systems run on are being taken over by mobile phone companies in Europe in the upcoming years.

morphius1

being taken over by mobile phone companies in Europe in the upcoming years.

FFS. I'll still get one though, just keep a good ol' 20ft cable with me just in case.

Deadpulse

don't get the Samson Airline bug system, it's balls. when I had my volume down it kept making really loud and random popping noises

my buddy has the X2 system and says it's amazing

chuffed-addick

I have a Sansom... apart from a set of disco lights messing with my signal at one gig not had too many problems with it. Battery going on belt pack tends to make my rig feedback to hell though

morphius1

I read some good reviews on the AKG one but can anyone reccomend any others for me to price/browse?

Robotsatemygrandma

I grabbed one of those cheaper Audio Technica Freeway series wireless units, and it works pretty swell for being $100. I've been using it now for shows for roughly 3 years now. I haven't had a problem with it, I've had bassists and other guitarists use similar systems and it never interfered with their signal or vice versa.

My only problem which I often overlook is it does have that hiss when I'm not playing. The extent of it doesn't annoy me, but I do take in account that it does add a wee bit more gain to my playing, so I adjust accordingly on my amp. But for $100 and 3 years of service so far, whoop de do.

Noleafclover86

I have a wireless system and I love it.

vitod

I have a wireless system and I love it.

Fantastic input! Thanks!

gorsch

Shure PGX14

love mine. not cheap but not overly expensive either. No extra noise.

My other guitarist has the Sennheiser ew172G2 and his makes more pops and noise at random moments then mine does.

siskabobs

the line 6 X2 wireless system is great. my other guitarist has one and will be giving it to me soon...he's getting a rackmount X2 soon.

sean106OCD

I have the AKG SR-40 Pro and love it. yeah does have some tone suckage, but not much when you adjust the squelch. But I like the convenience of just having to deal with one triple A battery and not battery pack etc. Makes changing guitars live so much faster IMO. I also think wireless units, even for small venues are a win, as I always hate having cables to trip over or by accident step on it and have it pop out of the amp input.

Mike E Majik

I have the AKG SR-40 Pro and love it. yeah does have some tone suckage, but not much when you adjust the squelch. But I like the convenience of just having to deal with one triple A battery and not battery pack etc. Makes changing guitars live so much faster IMO. I also think wireless units, even for small venues are a win, as I always hate having cables to trip over or by accident step on it and have it pop out of the amp input.

Loop your guitar cord through your cabinet handle if possible, and then into the amp input. This way, any unpredicted tugging coming from your cord will only move the guitar rig, and not pull your amp off the cab or out of the input jack.

I used to use a wireless. I had my brush with them, anyway. But I was playing some 1000+ capacity venues at the time. The stages were bigger, and I was much younger and didn't care about tone the same way I do now. One thing I can say I really do like about wireless is at soundcheck. You guys that use them know what I'm talking about. You can walk right on out and hear what the mains sound like. Always a good thing.

Having said that.... I always thought it looked a bit silly when some people use a wireless and yet the whole show all they do is stand in the same spot within 10 feet of their amp. They are basically degrading the sound quality of their entire rig just so they can avoid the possibility of stepping on a cable or whatnot. If you move around a lot, that is a whole other story. i don't know.. nothing wrong with wireless, I just kinda look at some people who use them the same way I look at people who use bluetooth. Like...REALLY?

load more replies (2 of 2)
morphius1

is there any difference between the belt packs and the ones that you just plug straight into the gutiar (without any cables...obviously)
My bassist has a samson one that isnt a belt pack that seems like it would be good (havent even heard it yet he's had it for a bout 3 years) but would a belt pack be the way forward for me?

Sixstringhotshot

In less populated areas just about any wireless will work pretty well, sound quality nonwithstanding. When I moved to Los Angeles my trusty old $300 Shure system was WORTHLESS. Tons of crosstalk, signal dropouts, etc etc.

I bought an X2 system for $300. Shoulda waited and got the bigger metal box one, but I've yet to have ANY problems at all.

marcy_marc2008

in all honesty i dont think its worth blowing hundreds on one of those x2 systems unless your playing big shows on big stages. i have a senheiser freeport and its done me for nearly 4 years without any problems. its been used for small shows right up to bigger stages and tents at festivals etc and still works great. and it only cost me £150.

i would only buy an x2 if i was using multiple guitars or amps at large shows.

morphius1

Im more than likely buying myself an AKG guitar-bug system, found it for £100 reduced from £200 which is rather snazzy, not too pricey yet 10/10 on all reviews :D
also, i know i've asked someone already but can anyone suggest any great distortion pedals for metal?

indytruckboy

I have the EV system. I love it. Very versatile and no problems. You can set it up for distance/sound quality. I have it set to about 95% sound quality and the sucker still has great distance.
The system itself has stuff on it, I have no idea how to use. I know it can be used for other setups, like mics. All I know is I have never lost a signal or what-not, in the 2 years of gigging and practice. I know it cuts a tiny bit of hair off my treble but I like that, and if you don't you could always re-EQ it back in. I enjoy a good 2-step, and my wireless untethered me from my amp to interact and throw down in a good pit.

Post to Thread