Enlighten me on valve amp 'ohms'

Updated
morphius1
Just got myself the peavey valveking 212 and on the speakers it says '16 ohms' and ive got the switch set to 16, but what difference does it make changing it to 4 or 8?? Thanks for any help
ESPimperium

Ive just had to have a crash cource on Ohms recently myself after buying a Bogner 1X12 cab and my first ever head.

Heres some words from the Mesa F30 (Whitch may be a NAD tomorrow for me) manual:

SPEAKERS:
Sensitivity to speaker mismatching in regards to ohmage differences is low, hence no damage to
the amplifier will occur. However, very low ohmage loads will cause the power tubes to wear faster.
The F-Series are equipped with a single 12 inch 8 Ohm speaker, but as you can see, other speaker
configurations may be used. When using two 8 Ohm speakers, connect each of them to the 4 Ohm
speaker jacks that are provided, this will equal a 4 Ohm load which is the proper impedance
required when using this particular speaker configuration.
4x12 cabinets may be 4, 8 or 16 Ohms. If you are not sure of the impedance of your cabinet, you may need to remove the Rear Panel
in order to verify the impedance rating of the individual speaker or speakers. Mesa/Boogie 4x12 and 4x10 cabinets come
standard wired to 8 Ohms, and are wired in series-parallel.
Some Non-Mesa 4x12 cabinets are wired 16 Ohms using four 16 Ohm speakers. By wiring all four speakers in parallel, you can
reduce the cabinet to an impedance load of 4 Ohms (assuming the speakers are 16 Ohms each.) No matter how unusual your
speaker setup, it is always possible to get good performance.

SPEAKER IMPEDANCE MATCHING & HOOK-UP GUIDE:
IMPEDANCE:
Wiring up speakers to provide the most effective load and making sure that all of them are in phase will help in creating the best sound
possible. This is not too difficult, as long as you understand a few things about loading and how to connect your speakers to provide
an optimal resistive load.
Mesa Boogie amplifiers can handle 4 and 8 ohms effectively. Never run below 4 ohms in a tube amplifier unless you are absolutely
certain that the system can handle it properly; this can cause damage to the Output transformer. A few amplifiers can handle 2 ohms
effectively without damaging them ( for example the Mesa’s Bass 400+ ). You can always have a higher resistance ( 16 ohms, for
example ) without damaging results, but too low of a resistance will likely cause problems.
MIS-MATCHING:
When running a higher resistance ( for example: 8 ohm output into 16 ohm cabinet ), a slightly different feel and response will be
eminent. A slight mismatch can provide a darker smoother tone with a little less output and attack. This response is a result of the
amplifier running a bit cooler. Sometimes when using more than one cabinet a mismatch will be the only option.
WHAT IS MY CABINETS IMPEDANCE:
If you have only a single speaker, you just match that single speakers impedance to the amplifier, and you are done. In many cases,
you will have a number of speakers, and then you must calculate the “load” that the amplifier will need to support. There are generally
three ways to wire multiple speakers together. They are as follows:
SERIES:
When you wire ( hook-up ) speakers in Series, the speakers resistance ( as measured in ohms ) is additive - i.e. putting two 8 ohm
speakers in Series results in a 16 ohm load.

morphius1

Awesome thanks!

I think that the ohms on the VK212 are only for having a cab with it and I'm not using one but I'll keep that in mind if I do :D

Roidster

heres is a little tip for you,to get more gain and volume from your valve king
take a patch cord and plug it into your effects loop,plug one end into the send,the other end into the return

Deadpulse

^
what does that do?

Roidster

gives you more gain and volume,try it ,it works

Deadpulse

sorry, i should have worded my question better

i meant how would that work? wouldn't that effectively just make it act as if you had nothing in the loop but make you more susceptible to noise since you're adding more connectors in your chain?

Sixstringhotshot

Kinda, but if the loop has send and/or return level controls, often you can actually boost your signal a little bit by turning them up. On some amps, like the Peavey XXX you don't even need to patch it. Just turn the loop on and turn the knobs up.

ozzuk1

VK's don't have a loop level, I will try it but I'd rather save the loop for something I need and use an OD to boost....

Sixstringhotshot

you can still put stuff in the loop while using it to boost, dude.

EDIT: Be careful though, it might clip the input of whatever you put in the loop. That probably wouldn't sound very good.

Post to Thread