is my amp awful ?

Updated
asbloodrunsblack
I've got a marshall VS100 combo , i dont really know much about marshalls . I've been struggling to get a really good metal tone out of it :confused: , i use my FB200 with EMG 81/60 or my jackson COW 6 string with a 81 , boss SD1 is on always for distortion , then amp . it sounds really weak though , can anyone recommend good EQ settings ? i'm going for a thick metal tone thats clear , machine head / bullet kinda tone . amp controls are : bass , mid , treble , gain , contour thanks for any help
asbloodrunsblack

and it is a shit amp , can you recommend me a £400 - £600 amp to buy ? thanks guys

sp1ke

5150!

phil

I've got a marshall VS100 combo , i dont really know much about marshalls . I've been struggling to get a really good metal tone out of it :confused: , i use my FB200 with EMG 81/60 or my jackson COW 6 string with a 81 , boss SD1 is on always for distortion , then amp . it sounds really weak though , can anyone recommend good EQ settings ? i'm going for a thick metal tone thats clear , machine head / bullet kinda tone .

amp controls are : bass , mid , treble , gain , contour

thanks for any help

I say, first off get that SD1 out of your chain.

I'm assuming the speakers in the combo aren't fantastic, if theyre anything like the MG series marshall combo/cab speakers...yeah you may want to look into a 5150 and a marshall 1960a cab or something, no idea what they go for over there but keep saving if you need to because short of possibly replacing the speakers in you cab, you may not get that MH/BFMV tone out of your current rig at all.

bnzboy

I own a marshall VS100 head with marshall VS 412 speaker
I also own a mesa boogie roadster with an oversized 412
I say VS100 has a unique tone that suits well with heavy rhythm stuff
very tight and straight up sound
it definitely sounds different than roadster
roadster sounds more 3 dimensional while VS100 sounds more straight
the lead sound sucks though..it is kinda strerile
my countour is around 9-10 oclock
treble 8 oclock, mid full, bass 10 oclock
and I use drive channel 2 for distortion, not drive channel 1
I keep both of my amps for different tones

nameless

If you like the Marshall tone, get a DSL401. I got my Engl thunder had and cab used for £550. You could probably get a used 5150. Or Line 6 HD147s go cheap used on eBay.

I spent some time using a VS100 and an AVT112 combo at a friend's house, and I could never get a decent sound out of them either. They always sound really thin and lifeless imo.

gorsch

drop the SD1. Those really only work well with tube amps. If I was using solid state I go for a distortion pedal. I had the head version as my first head. They're alright for what they are.

Like I said drop the SD1 then just mess woth the amp settings. Or buy a MT2 or a distortion pedal.

the 5150 idea is better for the long run though.

asbloodrunsblack

cheers guys , used some of your EQ recommendations and it sounds way better .

the_emptier

bass 4
mids 7-8
treble 10
gain 9
contour all the way to the right

LordCliffton

QUESTION: On those VS Marshalls.. when you have the Contour at zero doesn't it actually leave the mids there, and as you add Contour it removes them?

So if my logic/memory is correct there should still be plenty of mids with the Contour where it is set(3), yes?

I'm unfamiliar with that particular amp and am trying to recall the most similar item I have played, which was a Marshall ValveState65 1x12 combo amp... that was well over 4 years ago btw.

Gisornator

I use an Engl Gigmaster. It should fit in your price-range. Btw, it's a tube-amp with powersoak if you want to play at home with it.

Post to Thread