5150 at half power

Updated
gorsch
I've got the 5150II, but whats everyones opinion on running at half power. It's been mentioned in a few posts. I've been thinking about trying it again, probably will at practice, but was just wondering what peoples opinions were. I tried it years ago but my ears weren't as developed as they are now. Does it really change the gain at all because your running those power tubes hotter? Technically should. I really like my tone but it could be more articulate. I wouldnt mind dropping my gain more to compensate for more volume. Like to hear opinions.
LordCliffton

I've tried it with my 5150 before as well because I heard my friend was doing it with his.. I didn't like it. Only made me twist the volume louder to get it where I like it. And with all the gain the 5150 preamp has it's not like I was able to notice MORE gain.. lol
then again maybe I would have had my pre-gain been below 6? *shakes head*

Go ahead & try it,, why not, right? But IMO it's not worth bothering with mainly cuz of the volume drop. YMMV.
next?

poidaobi

I didn't like it. Only made me twist the volume louder to get it where I like it.
next?

Exactly...

pulling tubes = pointless...

You either like the sound of the amp or you dont

gorsch

Last night at practice I thought about but then we started playing and realized my tone rules. Dont really need to change it. I was more or less bored here at work and made a post to hear opinions. Plus, we tried out a singer last night, hopefully the last because he REALLY kicked ass but it's too soon to say anything. Anyway, he's got a Powerball that I get to use if he's the dude. He didnt put it like that though, he's a dude I've known for a while and his band just split as mine started to "re-form." Really cool dude with LOTS of extra gear. Last night was the first time he came out, had lyrics written for the tunes we got on myspace and completely blew us away with how prepaired he was. Took home our demo for the rest of the tracks. As long as he can show some solid progression he's our guy. Anyway, now I'm rambling in excitment. Sorry.

LordCliffton

well, that's good news indeed if he is the guy that fits the bill. plus I too have been longing to play a PB but there are none whatsoever(to my knowledge) in my area. :(

if it all works out let me know your thoughts about it vs the 5150(&II), will ya?
thanks!

gorsch

yeah, no problem.

Post to Thread