New to the site. Question on equip.

Updated
DeefNDorf
Hi everyone. Newbie here. my name is Johs and I am 25. I have been playing for about 14 yrs and have mainly stuck to Fenders and Gibsons. I play a Fender Highway one with Symore Duncans, through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with mods and Weber Blue dog speaker. Fulltone pedels. My play style has mostly evolved around Gary Moore, Steve Ray, Hindrix etc. Boys from the old school I guess you might say. I have always looked for "my" sound. Then one day last year I seen Nightwish's latest album-Dark Passion Play-at Hot Topic. Loved it so much went to Sam Goody the next day and bought everyone of their albums. In my opinion they are the greatest band ever, period. Bands like H.I.M., Seether, Breaking Benjamen, etc. Don't even come close to their talent. Their music arrangments are killer. Everytime I listen to their cd I hear new notes. And they havn't left my cd player for the past 6 months. I love their sond. So now I am trying to find out what equip. their guitarist -Emppu Vuorinen- uses. I know ESP but i was trying to find specifics. Pickups, processors, Guitar models, amp models , etc. If anybody can help me out with answers I would greatly appriciate it. I want to expand into the metal area with my music but really have no experience so any help would be awesome. Till my next post. Thanks a thousand.
Bridge The Void

There's a japan export of his sig, which is a HSH Horizon with a Floyd. He uses Seymour Duncan pickups, I believe its the standard JB/59 or Jazz setup with a hot rails of some sort in the middle. I think he's using Mesa amps these days too.

Unless you track down and shell out the dosh for the Sig, I dunno how close you'll get...I think his sig is the first ESP I've seen with the HSH layout. Then again, I doubt he uses *that* many different sounds for Nightwish, I am also an avid fan, but I wouldn't say they're the best band ever...Emppu can shred like a mofo but has zero feel, sadly :(

If you want the Nightwish sound so much, get a keyboard :p

DeathrollJM

other than that ESP, i think you can overall obtain close to his tone with a mesa dual recto, (which he has used for awhile), the tone on dark passion play sounds very recto, even if he has other processing, you can overall get it pretty close.

DeefNDorf

Hmmm...I see your point but I don't limit any band to only one instrument. I say all around they are the best. In my opinion of course. Even the way they structure the music is breath taking. But I agree Emppu would be the weakest...Thanks for the info on his guitar. Yea I agree. The Mesa would work.
LOL..I might already have a keyboard..;)

RejecterSR

best band ever?
Em...per...or.
De...i...cide.
Gor...go...roth.
...i think dark passion play was excellent as well...i concur i should say.
very good composition, Nightwish has, but yeah, Emperor, Deicide, and Gorgoroth? Pssh, blow Nightwish to Valhalla and back lol, i mean, Emperor!? have you even heard the song I Am the Black Wizards or Inno A Satana! Deicide!? To be Dead! Gorgoroth!? Carving a Giant!

but yeah, Nightwish is cool and the chick's hot

K1N5L4Y3R

This is all the info I could find on his rig, but it is a few years old now:

Effects/Rack:

SansAmp PSA-1 (preamp)
T.C. Electronics G-MAJOR (effects-->Delay, Reverb,Gate)

Pedalboard:

Jim Dunlop Volume/Wah
Digitech Whammy (XP-100)

Midi controls-->Boss-FC-50(Controlling SansAmp & G-Major program
changes)
Tap control-->Boss FS-5U(Controlling G-MAJOR delay time)

Other:

Mesaboogie Dual rectifier Head
Mesaboogie Stereo Fifty Amplifier
Beyerdynamics Opus 500mkII Wireless
3x Marshall JCM-800 A Speaker cabinet
2x Marshall JCM-800 B Speaker cabinet

Strings:
DR LT-9...42 (for E-Tune Guitars)
DR MT-10...46 (for D-Tune Guitars)

Post to Thread