midi questions

Updated
CAPTAIN SARG
ok so i would like to know some things about mdi: 1. which is a good midi controller o was looking at the rocktron all access 2. if you set effects to the midi controller to you need to keep the effects in the connection or effects loop 3. does the midi controller go in the connection(guitar to amp) or the effects loop thanks in advance sarg
marcy_marc2008

rocktron all access is cool or a gcp are allso good. i have the rocktron midi mate which works great for what i need. i can control my effects and my amp channels and fx loop all from the one pedal.

The midi controller will only control your effects unit unless it has some sort of switching system built in to it for stomp boxes etc.

midi controller will plug into an effects unit vire the midi in socket.

MIDI is not in the signal chain of your guitar (dosn't carry any audio signal). it is only a means of switching effects, presets or channels on your equipment.

willhaven

I use a Rocktron All Access LTD and two RJM Music RG-16 audio/amp switchers. It works really well and the RG-16s are easy as hell to program.

I had bought two Voodoo Lab GCX units before, and between the programming time (had to be done with the foot controller) and the limitations (5 CC messages per preset), the RG-16 was a far better match for the All Access.

With the RG-16, it works off of program change information, meaning it saves its own data and can be quickly programmed with the buttons on the unit itself instead of tapping through an insane number of menu pages on the foot controller.

Another upside of the RG-16 is that it can control 8 amp functions too.

The foot controller is only connected to the rig via a MIDI cable, or a MIDI cable and a DC power connection. The controller only controls stuff, it doesn't actually do anything else or change the sound in any way.

If you want to use stomp boxes and control them via the foot controller, you'll have to get an audio switcher as well. If you plan to use a single rack mount MIDI controllable FX unit, you probably don't need an audio switcher.

Post to Thread