Anyone here played an 8 string

Updated
xXxEvilCorexXx
i watched a video of Buz from Unearth playing one and he played a power chord and it sounded like complete mush. i was just wondering, out of curiosity not want, if they sound really muddy due to the low string, etc. thanks
DeathrollJM

anything below a low b, regardless of number of strings (6, 7 or 8), stings turns to mush.

i've played the ibanez 8 string and the SC-608, you can only play single note riffs on that F#, no power chords, its sounds like shit.

after playing one, i see no real use of having one.

Ryan 2%

anything below a low b, regardless of number of strings (6, 7 or 8), stings turns to mush.

i've played the ibanez 8 string and the SC-608, you can only play single note riffs on that F#, no power chords, its sounds like shit.

after playing one, i see no real use of having one.

Wrong.

My band plays in Drop A and it sounds clean and clear. It has almost nothing to do with the guitar itself, but more the amp that you're using. If you're using a Marshall or Line 6 it's definately going to sound like mush, but our guitarist plays a EC 1000 thru a peavey 6550 (and sometimes a mesa triple rec or peavey triple x, it depends on what gear we're loaning out at the time. And he runs a recording studio, that's why he has so many heads. We're not rich assholes. we're actually poor nice guys that spent all our money on gear, haha) and a Mesa 4x12, and it comes out thunderously low and clear.

The only way the guitar could be affecting the tone is the construction, the action of the neck, or too light of a string gauge. And then of course the pickups, but I highly doubt EMG would go thru the trouble of manufacturing an 8-string pickup and let it sound bad.

load more replies (1 of 1)
TheDevilHimself

I would like to try one. Especially the bolt-on Ibanez looks good.

___KC___

well, I know what a low F# sounds like. and its not good sounding.

maxdgad

listen to After the Burial, they work some magic with those live.

LordCliffton

heh,, I'm sure those computer speakers you're listening through have nothing to do with the mud? :rollin

seriously tho.. it will sound different in person. and that is all the difference in the world really.

Autofate

essentially, an 8 string without good pickups to going to sound like blah. Im almost certain Misha is using Lundgren M8s as does Meshuggah, and that has a lot to do with gettting djent from an 8 string. I played a stock Ibanez 8 through a recotverb and it couldnt keep up with any fast riffing on the F#.
But the style and manner in which you use the F# has a lot to do with the sound as well.

If you get an 8 and dont like the low F#, string it with a high A instead

edit- Periphery is the shit

Bridge The Void

I think I'd find it hard to not sound like Meshuggah if I used a tuning that low. Same thing happens if I tune below drop B - everything I play sounds like Mastadon/Isis

LordCliffton

He's doing ok.. he predicted that Aunt Cleos Psychic Network would go bust...

He was right! :rollin

RejecterSR

i have an Ibanez Prestige 7 string and i used to tune it to A and it sounded fine with the right adjustments through amp/pedal

Post to Thread