Same signal on two amp heads.

Updated
vitod
Hi guys. I now have two Marshall VS100 heads and I'd like to link them on the same signal and control the channel swithing at the same time. I tried the "line out" to the other amps "input", but no go. How do I do this? Use splitters or is there something way better? Thanks
Deadpulse

Morley A-B-Y pedal. I'm not too familiar with VS100's but if you wanna switch them at the same time, you're going to need a switcher like a GCX with some floor board to control it

esp_gaijin

you could use aby for guitar signal,

and taking one of your footpedals could also go into aby and control both amps, if it's TS,
if it's TRS you could still do this by splitting that out with a hosa adapter and running those intot 2 aby's.

that would work but it would be a mess, and would cost a lot. you're talking about 2 valvestate amps, this is not worth it.

sell the 2 valvestates, get a good amp, then come back and discuss your future here with us. thx.

vitod

:confused: I'm happy what I have now. Why put down my stuff? I thought I'd ask here because of the many knowledgeable people.

That wasn't cool.

esp_gaijin

sorry :p

i am being serious tho, you've spent money for a 2nd vs head, i don't think that's money well spent, it's my onion.
now you want to spend more to have pretty sophisticated control over it,
again more money spent on bad gear -- IMO.

i'm not ragging on anyone for not being able to afford better gear;
i do rag on people for not using what money they have wisely;
i think buying 2 vs's isn't a good idea, i think spending even further money is making things worse.

somewhere yesterday i read a post someone said they went thru 3 heads before finally getting a good one; and that all the money they wasted on the cheapie heads they could have bought the good head + had leftover.

so cereaously, i'm trying to tell you don't waste money.

i'm cereaous, sell the vs's, combine the funds from that and what ur gonna spend on controllers for them, into better gear,
NOW, before you waste more $.

is my onion.

Deadpulse

he's right. I believe it was Dongthing that said "you can't polish a turd".

which in this case, might be valuable info. HOWEVER, if you must run those 2 in stereo, post clips

vitod

Look. I have these amps. Dirt cheap and sound great on OD2. It's what I like that counts. I'm sure there's critisizm among the tubes. You like yours, right? You may have spent more, but to someone else, it's crap. Doesn't mean you're going to get rid of it because someone said so.

I asked for suggestions, not critique.

esp_gaijin

quit being such a pantywaist, you asked for suggestions and i gave them,

that doesn't mean you have to go do my suggestions,
but you don't have any right complaining about them, so don't.

if you want help you have to act polite, i'm not wasting my time helping rude people. i gave my honest opinion and suggestion. if you can afford TWO valvestates you could have afforded one decent amp instead, so it's not like you're saving all tons of money, and now you're looking to spend more. that's your right, and your opinion on tone.

you wouldn't have heard my comments on vs's if you hadn't asked.

vitod

I'm very polite. I asked a question and you went to my gear that has nothing to do with getting a real amp. I didn't ask "I have two VS, what tube amp do you suggest".
The point is not about tone. I'm happy with it. Believe me, I love helping people too.
Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. I checked out the Startouch ABY pedal.

Cool?;)

T-nuts

quit being such a pantywaist, you asked for suggestions and i gave them,

that doesn't mean you have to go do my suggestions,
but you don't have any right complaining about them, so don't.

if you want help you have to act polite, i'm not wasting my time helping rude people. i gave my honest opinion and suggestion. if you can afford TWO valvestates you could have afforded one decent amp instead, so it's not like you're saving all tons of money, and now you're looking to spend more. that's your right, and your opinion on tone.

you wouldn't have heard my comments on vs's if you hadn't asked.

First off, he asked what he could do to run both of his heads at the same time.
He didn't ask for opinions on his amp. He also didn't ask for some random person to coach him with his money.
Stop putting words in his mouth, and stop telling him what he does and does not like.
He wants to keep the amps he has now so shut up about it, and help him with the question that he ORIGINALLY asked.
And besides, do you even know WHY he wants two of them? Maybe he wants to run them stereo on stage?
One on the left side and one on the right?
But instead your just bashing his equipment which is totally uncalled for.

Second, Morley ABY is always a good choice.

load more replies (3 of 3)
jsp

Just curious: why two of the same amp?

nwright

Plus, Gaijin, you are discounting the fact that while it may be cheap, the dude could possibly really dig the tone, which supercedes cost.

Many artists in the past have gotten along pretty well with Valvestates in the metal arena. Personally I don't like them, but I'm not gonna slag a dude for digging it.

esp_gaijin

:rolleyes: pff... FINE then,

play with your poopy amps.

*pickups up army men and evil kneivel toy and walks home*|I

Swamp

Hey dude, I have a similar setup running two Preamps into an Valvestate poweramp....

For the signal... I'd recomend using a Boss CE-5 CHorus, It has two outputs one signal is unafected and the other you can chorus slightly and the sound will kinda increase on mass It sounds really cool. The Dime From Hell would be an alternative, If you'd wan an Wah also, then this one can feed two heads... Or the MXR Kerry King EQ can run two heads at once and you'll have an EQ to tighten up the tone... or just get make a cable loop...

For the chanel switching I just got a 4PST Footswitch and a four wire cable and made my own footswitch. I used separate wvires for both heads, so I would not mess with the grounds on the Amps. What functions du you want to switch? I can make you a simple scheme...

load more replies (1 of 1)
Ramses1134

IMO you could get a more brutal sound if you have 2 different half stacks going. in the studio i split my signal and went thru a peavey xxx with a mesa cab and a marshall tsl100 with my mf280b. i creamed myself. marshall with more mids, peavey with more treble and bass, it was disgusting and inspired a riff that i was instantly proud of.

esp_gaijin

i grew up poor, i've been homeless twice, i have never bashed anyone for not having more money, unless it's because they refuse to work or choose to spend it on frivolous horseshit.

he asked for advice, i gave him my honest opinion of how best to spend money,

"uncalled for", fuck you pussies, buncha fucking sissies every one of you who thinks that about my comments.

god damn pussies, unbelievable, if you don't want honest opionions get off the fucking internet and dont' dare go out in public ever.

i am entirely cereaous.

fuck you, i try to help, don't want my comments then get the fuck off the internet.

JeanPaul du Vinnie

he asked for advice , i gave him my honest opinion of how best to spend money,
There's your problem! ;) That'll be 2,50, please.

vitod

i grew up poor, i've been homeless twice, i have never bashed anyone for not having more money, unless it's because they refuse to work or choose to spend it on frivolous horseshit.

he asked for advice, i gave him my honest opinion of how best to spend money,

"uncalled for", fuck you pussies, buncha fucking sissies every one of you who thinks that about my comments.

god damn pussies, unbelievable, if you don't want honest opionions get off the fucking internet and dont' dare go out in public ever.

i am entirely cereaous.

fuck you, i try to help, don't want my comments then get the fuck off the internet.

Your honest opinions, though fine, didn't answer my question. Why are you so angry?

tmoori

what does cereaous mean

esp_gaijin

not mad at you vitod, it's the other person got me flaming.

plus i just spout off for fun on the interwebz :) i don't take anything that cereaously, i don't expect anyone to take me that cereaously.

vitod

:p

Sixstringhotshot

A pair of ABY boxes is the answer. One will split your signal to both amps, and one will split your footswitch to both amps. If the footswitch is TRS (stereo, probably two buttons) you may have to modify the ABY with TRS jacks otherwise you'll only get button 1 on one amp, and only button 2 on the other.

jsp

You can also slave one amp into another. Plug your guitar into the first head. Connect the "Send" on the effects loop to the "Y" of the ABY splitter. Connect the "A" and "B" of the ABY splitter into the "Return" of each head's effects loop. Now you've connected the preamp of the first head into the power section of both heads, so that takes care of switching. Make sure the ABY is switched to A and B. Each head can then connect to cabs.

Sixstringhotshot

You can also slave one amp into another. Plug your guitar into the first head. Connect the "Send" on the effects loop to the "Y" of the ABY splitter. Connect the "A" and "B" of the ABY splitter into the "Return" of each head's effects loop. Now you've connected the preamp of the first head into the power section of both heads, so that takes care of switching. Make sure the ABY is switched to A and B. Each head can then connect to cabs.

Doing this bypasses the second head's preamp, and therefore destroys any stereo image created by different settings.

load more replies (1 of 1)
LordCliffton

If both amps have FX loops,, why not simply get a nice floor unit, ala Line6 X3 or Vox Valevetronix, and send the signal to both amps FX RETURN jacks.. that will bypass the amps preamp, and you will now be using it only as a power amp.. but you will now be (#1) controllingboth amps simultaneously, (#2)have plenty of FX and (#3) 1 footswitch instead of several aby's and whatever regular stompboxes you were thinking of using... that means PLENTY of floorspace for interpretive dancing & moshing on stage! YAY!

just a suggestion. :D

vitod

If both amps have FX loops,, why not simply get a nice floor unit, ala Line6 X3 or Vox Valevetronix, and send the signal to both amps FX RETURN jacks.. that will bypass the amps preamp, and you will now be using it only as a power amp.. but you will now be (#1) controllingboth amps simultaneously, (#2)have plenty of FX and (#3) 1 footswitch instead of several aby's and whatever regular stompboxes you were thinking of using... that means PLENTY of floorspace for interpretive dancing & moshing on stage! YAY!

just a suggestion. :D

That's an excellent suggestion. I'll try it.;)

Post to Thread