spider valve 100w head

Updated
the_emptier
anyone ever played one of these? as some of you may know i've been looking at amps forever and i love the 6505+. i was fixed on that for a long time but now with a new year there will be new gear. so how is this amp? i play everything from jazz to funk to rock to death metal. so i want diversity which this thing definetly has. i know the 6505+ is "br00tal metalz 0nly" and i know that, but its amazing and i have eq pedals if i really need to go for a lighter tone. so anyways how would the spider valve compare to a 6505+ in terms of metal tone? thanks
the_emptier

hah sweet. yeah since its "stock" price is 800 its looking a little better for my wallet.

Mr Pigwalk

For 800 bucks you'd probably be MUCH better off getting a used Vetta or HD147. If used is a option that is!

StimoS

Yeah the 100 watt valve kicks ass. I dont think id rather get the vetta or hd, for one the vetta is much to complicated, and the hd is probably around the same price as the valve where the valve has more warmth hence the tubes. I dont knock those amps at all, love the hd, and the vetta, just i fell in love with the bogner/line amp. Deffinatly verry loud, noise free, and lota balls. Versatility is also a big thing, im pretty sure u can safly say u can closley get any tone out of it.

Shreddy

Get a Bugera...some dude posted some clips on HCF and it sounded pretty sweet. You can get the half stack for less than 800 bucks.

the_emptier

holy crap thank you for that! i seriously think this is it. these are amazing prices!

Shreddy

holy crap thank you for that! i seriously think this is it. these are amazing prices!

:hat

DeathrollJM

dude i am completely in love with the HD100, as soon as im done with my summer job im trading in my spider II to buy it, soon after im hoping to get an EC-1000, that on my Genz Benz G-Flex will completely terrorize metal, however i have never heard cleaner and deep cleans like the HD100 can offer, on EMG's it almost sounds acoustic. It breaks up well and IMO is amazing for blues, jazz and even some strat cleans (pearl jam etc.)

I had the chance to play the HD100 half stack next to a 6505+ half stack, the HD100 made the 6505 sound so weak, after that i knew that i wouldn't be getting that, i have been hooked on either the XXX or the 6505, and the Valve changed my mind, no amp i have played has ever been as three dimensional as the valve. I now have a new favorite, and i will get it as soon as i have the funds.

Its definitely a great buy

amal8301

Just remember the presence knob is your friend.

DeathrollJM

hell yeah it is, that thing is responsible so much for the tonal characteristics of that amp

chrisolson

Unless you play at volumes higher than bedroom stadiums. Leave it off. That amp has plenty of presence without help. ;) At least on the high gain patches. Don't over-do it.

I had the SV HD100 for a day. It had PROBLEMS. I guess I'm not the only one either. I turned it on, and you might as well have been standing on a beach with HEAVY SURF!! It was NOISY. I took it back, and we messed around with the valves and so on, which helped a little, but it was still not right. It was like being in a room with a huge stereo tuned into a station that was just static. With that said, I don't play out, and it was just too much. I got the replacement re-ordered, but it is on backorder over 3 months now...), so I just had them get me the 2x12. I'm glad I did. I did try it through my Mesa cab, but actually liked it better through the combo. It was much tighter, and had plenty low end - which is for bassists to handle any way. It's a great amp. Make sure you get the bias checked though - they're notorious for being biased cold. Mine was right on though.

Great amp for the money. Mine was well under $700 from a well known store - just work on the sales guy a little! ;)

StimoS

hd100? HD147 **. Yah great amp. Cant even post enough comments on how essential that presence knob is, its very useful.

Justinschut

I really wanna try one.. I was planning on it, but I got stuck blasting a Diezel I couldnt afford when I got to the store :p

If it really rawks that much, I could get the head and sell my 5150 and Fireball and have some extra cash

the_emptier

fuck i know like 20 people that are on the cob and esp boards :lol

im failure of threads btw if you remebered me from guitarplayers thread

Justinschut

yeah, I remember... I dont like the guitarplayers thread @ cob tho, cuz they mash all the guitar stuff into 1 thread :p

MattiaS

Well, my little opinion:

I'm Sound Engineer and Musician (at profesional Level) so I spend a lot of bucks in my local music Store.... So the salespersons always call me to try new equipment and guitars....

Almost a month ago i went to try the Spider Valve.... i spent almost 1 and a half hour... trying all the Spider valve modes... and the amp SUCKS!... the power Amp Section is Amazing... it give a lot of punch to the amp, but the pre amp modeling is awful... is plastic like hell!!! so: (amazin power section + an awful pre amp modeling)= A terrible amp... and very expensive too

So if you are looking for a Line6 amp, better go for a Flextone or a Vetta amp.... the modeling is a lot better than the Spider Valve Modeling.

I have a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and the quality of a Tube amp is impossible to copy but the Vetta and the Flexton have a good tone.

So if you can purchase a tube amp... BETTER!

Cheers!

DarkKnight369

Well, my little opinion:

I'm Sound Engineer and Musician (at profesional Level) so I spend a lot of bucks in my local music Store.... So the salespersons always call me to try new equipment and guitars....

Almost a month ago i went to try the Spider Valve.... i spent almost 1 and a half hour... trying all the Spider valve modes... and the amp SUCKS!... the power Amp Section is Amazing... it give a lot of punch to the amp, but the pre amp modeling is awful... is plastic like hell!!! so: (amazin power section + an awful pre amp modeling)= A terrible amp... and very expensive too

So if you are looking for a Line6 amp, better go for a Flextone or a Vetta amp.... the modeling is a lot better than the Spider Valve Modeling.

I have a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and the quality of a Tube amp is impossible to copy but the Vetta and the Flexton have a good tone.

So if you can purchase a tube amp... BETTER!

Cheers!

When I started reading this post I thought it was going to a Line 6 bashing thread. To my surprise you started complimenting the higher end Line 6 amps, Bravo! No HD147 love though?

I am not a tube fan simply because I don't like the response. I coaxed some descent tones out of the Spider Valve, but I wasn't that impressed. Also, the effects are terrible. I think the Spider III's effects sound better, even though they are virtually the same. Some will love it, but I say if you really want a tube amp with line 6 effects and modeling just get a POD and a tube amp of some sort. You can even get the POD XT Pro and Tube power amp and have something that will be more versatile.

Justinschut

wow, you must be really important..

MattiaS

not at all... I just work really hard and when I need equipment always go to the same Music Store and I find the same Sales man... so he treats me like a good client and when new equipment arrives to the store he call me to try it.... maybe I buy something... jajaja

I have listened a lot of amazing and terrible amps when I was making a record.... I know how to set up an amp to get a good tone...... but the spider is just a terrible amp with an amazing power section..... maybe if that power section would be use in a Flextone or in a Vetta.... OMG..... they would have made a really great amp!

Cheers!

chrisolson

RM Mike -

Just a thought -- B-52 puts out probably the best bang for the buck out there. Even better than Peavey these days. The AT cabs are VERY GOOD quality, and if you get a good amp (there are some stinkers...I'll give you that) it will serve you well. Like all amps, they need to be set up the right way. Line 6 is like that too. Once you unlock the secret, though, it's good stuff.

I really like my SV though. I still have a Floor POD Plus for when I get tired of the Spider models though, so I'll always have a decent rig. The POD will always be the perfect fall-back for me.

capoeiraesp

I'm keen on seeing how the SV is with a pod X3 live, bypassing the spider preamp. 2 amps at once with a bogner designed poweramp, could be pretty sweet!

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread