EMG 81 vs 85 vs 60?

Updated
Heatmiser
What's the difference between these pups? How are the tones? Which would win in a fight...to the death?
Butch

where is that khguitar guy in this thread?????

Kannon

Is there a marked difference between the 85 and 60 in the neck? I like the chunk of the 60 but there's too much mud.

Gfunk

But still I prefer the 60A in the neck a hell of a lot more than the 60 or 85...

Not I. Me likey ceramic cleans.

The "other" USA-made active humbuckers use unbalanced inputs in a differential preamp. The problem is, an unbalanced differential preamp is not very effective at cancelling hum. Our engineers figured out how to capture the tone that players want in an active design, but using balanced inputs. The result is 12dB to 14dB less noise, plus more lows, more highs, and more output. Simply put, Blackouts have more tone than other active pickups.

:lol

What a load.

tonyjh3

I got to hear the SD Blackouts in a friends guitar the other day. We did the
Pepsi challenge between his Blackouts and my MX250 with an 81 bridge, 60
neck set up. We both thought the blackouts had more mids, but neither of
us thought they were drastically quieter than the EMG's. I thought the extra
mids could have just been his guitar, but he said he could notice a difference
from his previous EMG 81/85 set up. I didn't care much for the clean tones
the Blackouts had either. IMO there's nothing wrong with the Blackouts, just
not my cup of tea. BTW, my buddy already switched back to his EMG's.

Bridge The Void

I like the 85 in a brighter-bodied guitar, but in my Eclipse the 81 does fine, I can't help but feel that an 85 would end up sounding too muddy in the Eclipse.

TheDevilHimself

To cut into the discussion, the 60 is kind of EMG's take on a minihumbucker sound.
It's kind of in between a single coild and a humbucker sound, which is why it's so loved for cleans.

Nobody here seems interested in slide guitar, but Johnny Winter had a nice slide sound with his Firebird (which features minihumbucker). I wouldn't be surprised if the EMG60 would be quite nice for slide guitar.

On another side note, I feel the EMG85 in the neck position is quite nice for fingerpicking and sounds nicer than the EMG60 fingerpicked, as the EMG85 makes at least my fingerpicking sound fuller and better.
EDIT: Again, I think few people on this board fingerpick.

ToRo Pj0tR

On another side note, I feel the EMG85 in the neck position is quite nice for fingerpicking and sounds nicer than the EMG60 fingerpicked, as the EMG85 makes at least my fingerpicking sound fuller and better.
EDIT: Again, I think few people on this board fingerpick.

That's just the reason why I feel that the 60A is totally worth it compared to the 60 and the 89...

Post to Thread