Peavey 6505+ vs. ENGL Fireball

Updated
the_emptier
Hey guys, i'm currently looking for a new amp (have been for a LONG time) and i have narrowed it down to the Peavey 6505+ and the ENGL Fireball. I have played the Peavey and it is just amazing, the greatest amp i've ever played. but i have not had the chance to find a Fireball anywhere. i know this forum is riddled with peavey's and engl's so this is probably the best place to get some help :) my current rig now is an alexi-600 straight into a marshall 8240 valvestate. thanks much!
Blake

The less expensive ENGL's tend to not sound as 'organic' as the higher priced ones like savages and SE's.....in this case I'd go for the 6505 just because I like a warmer tone rather than just raw power.

Deadpulse

The less expensive ENGL's tend to not sound as 'organic' as the higher priced ones like savages and SE's.....in this case I'd go for the 6505 just because I like a warmer tone rather than just raw power.

I've never had a chance to play through a Fireball, but from what I heard the gain channel is VERY comparable to channel 3 on a Powerball (which I have). And I got to say that channel 3 on a Powerball is MUCH "warmer" than a 5150. When I a-b those 2 amps, the 5150 had much more high end and a sharper characteristic whereas the Powerball had more of a saturated sound"

load more replies (1 of 1)
BrazilianBootyLover

Get a blackmore

the_emptier

hah i wish, but see i really can't spend that much just on a head. as it is im going to buy the 6505+ used. (ebay has some good prices). is there anything bad about buying a head of that caliber used? and of course after that i'll have no money to buy a cabinet (vader 2 x12). so i have no idea how im going to play it at all after i get it :(

Strange

after that i'll have no money to buy a cabinet (vader 2 x12). so i have no idea how im going to play it at all after i get it :(

Then they'll both sound pretty much the same. :D

nwright

The Fireball sounds pretty awesome, but IMO it's in the same vein as the 6505+...Aggressive, edgy tone, etc. I love my 6505+

BrazilianBootyLover

but IMO it's in the same vein as the 6505+

Not even close. No peavey will ever sound as good as an engl.

nwright

Not even close. No peavey will ever sound as good as an engl.

I didn't say they sounded the same, just the same vein...They both go for aggressive tones, have a nice edge to them, etc.

I have 2 friends in bands that have Fireballs, I've played them, I've heard them many times...IMO, they are in the same vein. I didn't say they were voiced the same.

Besides that, I've heard on more than one occasion that people in the UK (Germany in particular) consider Engl on the same level as Peavey over there. Sure, from a tonal standpoint there can be preferences, but from what I've actually experienced, one is totally not "better" than the other from many standpoints.

Strange

I've never owned either, but from a listener's standpoint I think Engl's sound much better in the studio, but 5150/6505's cut through better live.

Deadpulse

^
meh, that's just ESP Boards hearsay. Engl's cut fine if you're not retarded

Guitarslingerans

^
meh, that's just ESP Boards hearsay. Engl's cut fine if you're not retarded

:\

-Ans-

Mr Pigwalk

Just saw a show last night with a Engl Fireball and a 6505. Guess which one I could hear?

xchumfiestax

Just saw a show last night with a Engl Fireball and a 6505. Guess which one I could hear?

both?

Mr Pigwalk

Bingo! The Fireball sounded BADASS in soundcheck, but in the whole mix it didn't have much presence.

espdood

Bingo! The Fireball sounded BADASS in soundcheck, but in the whole mix it didn't have much presence.

I mean, the fireball is 60 watts vs. the 6505 plus's 120watts. It really comes down to the mix on what was set at what. I doubt that it's an even 50/50 setup with both amps. You can have the Fireball setup to cut more than the 6505 plus and vice versa. 60 watts is still plenty to play in a live setting as everything is pretty much mic'd anyways.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Deadpulse

my thoughts exactly. the 5150 and Fireballs would be good alternatives to each other, rather than an upgrade. I did find that you can't go wrong with a 5150, it sounded great, but the Powerball had more of a sophisticated saturation to it (for lack of a better word).

Deadpulse

So far I've never not been mic'd. But that's cause we have enough places around here to play that we don't have to settle for playing a crappy bars that aren't meant for bands.

Strange

So far I've never not been mic'd. But that's cause we have enough places around here to play that we don't have to settle for playing a crappy bars that aren't meant for bands.

Then you ain't payin' your dues, son! ;)

Usually when I play places in Atlanta we're mic-ed, PA's good, etc. but when you hit the road, you never know where you might wind up. And to be fair, I've had some great times at shows where we had to move pool tables out of the way so we could set up our gear...and some shitty shows at very nice venues. A great PA is worthless if there's a crackhead at the board.

Guitarslingerans

The places you play usually depend on the kind of music you play, they usually go hand in hand. Most of the places that cater to metal bands around Houston, don't mic up guitar amps. It's a fact of life around here. Consider yourselves lucky, any of you, that are in a place nice enough to get mic'd 100% of the time. The bands that play hard rock more radio friendly, then you are easily in one of the better clubs that cater to that music and the crowd that follows them, and they have nicer PA systems, better sound engineers, etc. The metal guys usually don't get that treatment.

-Ans-

Mr Pigwalk

Vetta HD. Run the fucking thing at half power too, my other guy's BV120H can barely pull enough volume to keep up.

IMO, if you know you're going to be gigging, you're safer off getting the Powerball than the Fireball. Everyone likes to go through a PA, but I'd rather know I have enough power to do a show w/o a PA and know I'll be heard. That why I'd take a 5150 over a FB. A PB, that's a little different situation.

Deadpulse

the Powerball still ain't as loud as a 5150 though

the_emptier

im guessing im gonna go with a peavey 6505 due to money, availability, and my own experience with it.

Post to Thread