Strange 5150.

Updated
motherpuncher
Hey guys. I bought an old 5150 block letter a while ago, didn't really like the sound with the original cab, so I bought a Marshall 1960 cab with V30's. I don't know if it's supposed to like this but, it's not tight at all, and it's not gainy and chunky as I thought, sounds all fizzyfuzzy on my ass. So..anyone have an idea what's "wrong"? Tubes, cab? Cheers!
TREVA

How could we know what's wrong ?
Change tubes,cables whatever is cheap and easy.
If it doesn't work,play the same model at the store.
Still yours is sounding bad,send it to repair.

BrazilianBootyLover

sounds all fizzyfuzzy on my ass

Sounds like a normal 5150 to me.

TREVA

Sounds like a normal 5150 to me.

:rollin

load more replies (1 of 1)
Justinschut

Less gain, more mids ;)

Gravy Tank

Turn the presence down too. That usually helps, somewhat.

TREVA

well junk is any digital modeller.
I prefer 5150 over any line 6 products so it's not junk.
BTW I love mesa boogies so I don't care about peavey ! Lol

espdood

How often do you play your 5150 and when's the last time the tubes have been changed?

xchumfiestax

well junk is any digital modeller.
I prefer 5150 over any line 6 products so it's not junk.
BTW I love mesa boogies so I don't care about peavey ! Lol

who said anything about line 6?

load more replies (1 of 1)
MV-CTM

5150s can be the most fizzy buzzy bees amp ever if you EQ them incorrectly :lol

1st thing to do is turn down the presence

xchumfiestax

treva, have you ever played through an HD147 or Vetta?

certainly not junk

TREVA

treva, have you ever played through an HD147 or Vetta?
certainly not junk

Yes I have a recording studio so clients come with everything.
To me they are crap,I hate their tones,lifeless digital tones.
When you record them side by side to a tube amp you can hear they are different worlds =
tubes = world of beautiful positive harmonics
line6 (even with tubes)= world of crap .

load more replies (2 of 2)
TREVA

well you didn't get what I was trying to say that time and you don't get what I say now.
I am using modellers like pod since the first ones.
I know how to use them even without their manuals.
The best tone you or me or everybody could get with them aren't even in the same category of good tube amps.

nwright

I'd start with what volume are you playing the 5150 at? To me, those amps hit their sweet spot around 3...At least mine did when I owned it. My 6505+ (5150II) sounds better at low volume than my 5150 did. I think preamp tubes can also play a factor in the tone as well. Other than that, your power tubes could also need replacing if they are stock or old with heavy usage on 'em.

BrazilianBootyLover

I had a 6505 brand new. Played in a band with it. Along side with my old jsx and the jsx blew it out of the water. Cut thru and just dominated the 6505. I eqed the thing day in day out, got alot of setting online still all sounded like crap.

BrazilianBootyLover

not everybody likes tube amps, BB King and Dime are 2 prime examples.

Wayne Static said he uses marshall MG 100.

TREVA

I care I think everyone here has something to say,let's hear them and respect their opinions.
Making fun is good but not all the time.

nwright

^uh, Mike...Mustaine left Line 6 a good while ago...Not that it matters to a discussion about fitty 1 fittys, but... ;)

TREVA

Paris Hilton(crap) > line 6

nwright

probably 3-4 months ago.

TWS

5150's sound really bad with the gain up past 7 on the lead channel. I keep mine between 5 and 6 and it cuts away that fizz.

espdood

5150's sound really bad with the gain up past 7 on the lead channel. I keep mine between 5 and 6 and it cuts away that fizz.

I agree..I keep mine around 5 or 6 when I had my 5150 II, but even then it wasn't enough gain..and if I switch it pass 6 it gets all fizzy and fuzzy. The amp is probably one of the most popular ones out there for metal, but for me..it just didn't sound good to my ears.

Post to Thread