BBE Sonic Maximizer

Updated
Joe_Bradburry
I want to get one of these for my future rig, but i'm wondering if i should get the sonic stomp pedal, or save up for one of the rack units.
DarkKnight369

I like the combo of both, the Maximizer does things that that EQ doesn't.

DeathIsMyJustice

Processed tone :|

japs5607

In my opinion i love the sound i get from the rack 482i

has anyone noticed that their leds dont light up when using their sonic maximiser in the effects loop when i use it in front of the amp they work fine

Any ideas

T-nuts

The leds on the maximizer light up in my loop...

japs5607

The leds on the maximizer light up in my loop...

the process ones light up

But the meter lights dont do anything is this right

load more replies (1 of 1)
SuperDuperNaut

i just got one and put it in the fx loop of my engl fireball. i love it, i think it does make a big difference, and for the better. br00tal.

Roidster

its only good for muddy sounding amps

Imperial Greg

If people say they cant hear a difference, then they really probably never tried one... i had people tell me way back in the day you wouldnt notice the difference until after playing with it for an hour, then turning it off. So i got one cheap, played with it, noticed the difference, then i turned it off after like 5 min i was like "wow, bigger difference than i thought"

for the price, its the best piece of gear i own. i find it more valuable in my tone then pick ups and guitar. with saying that i mean... switching my pick ups, or guitar im using, the different sound i get out of my amp isnt as much as i would get with adding a BBE to my rig. it helps lots, and i fully suggest getting one. especially if you play metal.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

I had an older 442A in an earlier rack in the 90's.

I loved it for the cleans, but felt like it sounded a bit chorus'd on my crunch patches.

DarkKnight369

I like the Sonic Maximizer. I have the 482i that I use with my Line 6 HD147. It does have varying effects on different amps. Many tube amps can be mid-saturate. I notice, and have heard from users here that the BBE can ignore the mids. On some tube amps this might be a good thing, on my HD147 I didn't like it. I bought a rack mounted EQ to put right before the maximizer and boost the mids a bit with good results. You may be able to achieve something like that normally with an amp, but with Line 6 amps the EQ knobs don't respond like typical EQ knobs.

What I noticed as far as tone improvements with the maximizer is that it seems to focus your tone more. It added a tightness to my low end. I also noticed my cleans sounded nicer. When I would turn the maximizer on and off I would definitely notice a positive change with it on.

If you have a stereo effects loop at all, I would recommend the 482i. The 482i has two channels that you can run independently or in stereo. If you have a stereo effects loop, and two cabinets, you can tweak each cabinet differently and obtain a fuller sound.

Joe_Bradburry

I like the Sonic Maximizer. I have the 482i that I use with my Line 6 HD147. It does have varying effects on different amps. Many tube amps can be mid-saturate. I notice, and have heard from users here that the BBE can ignore the mids. On some tube amps this might be a good thing, on my HD147 I didn't like it. I bought a rack mounted EQ to put right before the maximizer and boost the mids a bit with good results. You may be able to achieve something like that normally with an amp, but with Line 6 amps the EQ knobs don't respond like typical EQ knobs.

What I noticed as far as tone improvements with the maximizer is that it seems to focus your tone more. It added a tightness to my low end. I also noticed my cleans sounded nicer. When I would turn the maximizer on and off I would definitely notice a positive change with it on.

If you have a stereo effects loop at all, I would recommend the 482i. The 482i has two channels that you can run independently or in stereo. If you have a stereo effects loop, and two cabinets, you can tweak each cabinet differently and obtain a fuller sound.

Thanks for the advice, TSA! so, when you say that it ignores the mids, does that mean it scoops them out, or it just leaves it the way you set it on your amp? I'm going for the scooped sound anyway, so if that is the case, then all the better.

MikeC

With mine, the 482, it seams like it adds alot of bass. Also, it seams like it adds alot of mids with my amp as well. I guess it has a different effect on each amp.

Post to Thread