The end of Black hardware?

Updated
Metfuk
I heard that Gotoh is no longer producing black hardware because of environmental issues. They now only make cosmic black. Do you think others will follow and the real black hardware will be a part of history someday?
Microdomus

cosmic black/QUOTE]

^^:lol

"Cosmo" black thank you!

I read somewhere that "they" had found a new way to produce black hardware, that didn`t fuck with the enviroment.:rolleyes:

Metfuk

cosmic black/QUOTE]

^^:lol

"Cosmo" black thank you!

I read somewhere that "they" had found a new way to produce black hardware, that didn`t fuck with the enviroment.:rolleyes:

Over here, people are calling it cosmic...I'm serious!

Metalmilitia306

how does the black hardware fuck with the environment besides being fucking cool.

Metfuk

how does the black hardware fuck with the environment besides being fucking cool.

From what I've heard it's because there are certain metals in there (I believe cadnium) that are bad for the environment.

Sixstringhotshot

Some sort of chemical in the finishing process is apparently rather hazardous to greenhouse...something....I don't know what I'm talking about anymore.

rockinhockey

well if it helps the environment its a good thing i'd say.

rocknrolltakeover

well if it helps the environment its a good thing i'd say.

...but it ruins a lot of otherwise good looking guitars.

riku

I beleive that this is due to the RoHs (restriction of hazardous subatances) legislation that is now in force in Europe and other countries around the world (started in July 2006). It is now illegal to sell new products that contain certian substances. The biggest problem has been with electronics and the use of lead in the solder. But it's not just lead that's affected it's a whole bunch of other chemicals and heavy metals.
The sale of spare parts and second hand goods are not affected by this legislation.
Even though the US isn't part of the Rohs compliancy (except California I believe) it appears that manuafactures like Gotoh have decided to stop the production of all products which aren't RoHs compliant.

Rik

Mystievel

Background: I'm trying to figure out how to make a homemade amp from a boombox's preamp/poweramp/ w/e (comes with everything I need, speakers hook up fine, plays radio, CD's, and Cassete tapes). I stripped down an auxiliary wire so I have the male end to plug into an ipod, and the other end with three wires (black, red, and an unshielded), and have figured out where to connect them with the preamp to get my ipod to play through the speakers (hurray!) However, when I plug an auxiliary to quarter inch adapter on the end and try to play the guitar, it does not work (at least not well, some shallow sound can come out of it depending where I connect the wires)

SOOOOOO

I know (lets say...) in a guitar with emg-81 pickups you wire (from the output jack) black goes to ground, red goes to the voltage supply (battery) and the lighter black is wired to the volume pot.

1) Is this wiring the same in the amp (the slot where you plug your cable into the amp)?

2) I bought an output jack (the fender kind, hoping this would fix my issue of the amp not working with a guitar) which only has, I guess, only two lugs which you can connect wires to (emg kit had 3 lugs), so how will this be different in the wiring process??? What wires do I use and where do I connect them (battery, ground, volume, etc...)?

Thank you for your help!

(ps: perhaps the reason the amp does not work with the guitar is the amount of current running through it and not that I wasnt using an output jack? in that case what can I do, anyone have good tutorial sites? I have checked by searching google and many many instructables)

load more replies (4 of 4)
ESPManiac

It wasnt about it bieng bad for the enviroment, it was because it was giving the people who administered the finish for the solid black hardware cancer.

Metal_Head_Forever

Yeah I made my feelings known on this topic on the original forum. And frankly I still think that it sucks. Of all the things we could be worrying about thats bad for us, lets go after something that is so small and simple like black hardware. Give me a break. I think cosmo black and black nickel hardware sucks balls. It rarely works with some guitars finish and I do mean rarely. To regular people they could care less, but to musicians and mainly guitar players its a big deal. If it was real harmful to people during the process of making you would think that they would wear somekind of protective suits or something. Or find some different way of making it without the bad stuff, that still keeps the same apperance . I'm all about finding different ways to help improve the enviroment and all, but sometimes I think they go after the wrong things first.

Post to Thread