Low volume amps

Updated
Low volume amps

I live in a apartment and can't have big amps. I used to have a little fender 8 inch speaker combo that had perfect volume, but lacked features. I was thinking about running a line 6 pod hd x into a rocktron 100 power amp and into a set of blackstar 4x8's. But I thought I would see if any one knows of a better product. Doesn't seem to be to much on the market for bedroom players, and the amps there are seem to be crappy "practice" amps. but I want pro features and tone with less volume. Any thoughts?

Brian

Yahmaha THR10 is a great practice amp.  

Blackstar HT-1 & HT-5 are great apartment friendly amps.  

jt76

havn't tried the yamaha, but those blackstars are also really nice.  

infact I liked the ht-5 so much that I ended up buying an ht100 instead. 

Its awsome, but its not a very good amp for a bedroom. 

Toejam

Carvin V3M has three channels and sounds great at low volumes as well as louder volumes.

Jay Y.

I havent used a real amp in years for practicing. I use a line 6 ux2 with a tremendous amount of plugins and can pretty much dial in what ever tone I want. High gain low gain whatever. I also use a set of m-audio av-30 some studio headphones and drum looper and sonar for recording any tracks/songs/ideas. I still like playing with a real tube amp, but I hardly have the need to. I am not in a band, just an at home musician.

I record bass vocals and guitar all through the line 6 unit.

Death Magnetic

i'd definitely go the direction you are with a practice set up, that sounds like fun man. but i still need to have a big 50/100 watt tube head for the real deal, it just feels amazing. but i spend most of my time practicing unplugged anyway, so it'd be nice to have something like you.

-_-

I wish I could go with tubes but all the micro tube amps I tried were still to loud. And not being able to crank them is a tease. I think I might be stuck with SS amps for now unless something awesome comes out at namm. 

Diogo M.

hey.

Check out: youtube*com/watch?v=grogLHqCGhU

Rock ON:)

jt76

the fender vibro champ xd - is a 5 watt tube amp, it has a bunch of modeling presets and some basic digital effects.

the effects are very limited because the all share one dial, so you can't mix them.

however it sounds real good at low volumes,  and takes pedals well.  it has a line out the can be run to a pa or high power amp

if you need to play out somewhere and need more volume. 

if you want something really cool buy 2 and place them as far apart as possible and run stereo out of your pod to each one.

you of coarse can do this with any amps, as long a you buy a pair.      

Gisornator

What features do you need? 4 Channels? Most Amps that I cam across have only very few features (2 or more channels, 3-band-EQ, Gain, Master - maybe one or two "special" controllers to adjust some overdrive effekts or to boost the mids).

What you may want is a Modelling amp like the Roland Cubes. My Dad plays the Roland Cube 40XL. You have a lot of options to find your sound. Loop, Reverb and Delay, 10 different Amp models andeven a acoustic simulation. It also has an AUX Line-in for mp3 players if you have some Backingtracks. The price is smart (below 400€). The volume ranges from "low volume" until "disurbing your neighbours".

I play on a ENGL Gigmaster 15 (Tube-Amp). It is very rudimentray amp (gain, overdriver-controlller for lead channel, 3 band equalizer, lead-volume, master, mid boost - 2 channels: clean/lead) but the sound is amazing. It has a powersoak to turn down the poweroutput. It has "Full Power" (15 Watt) which is very very loud (some people use it for their gigs - no joking), 5 Watt, 1 Watt (whch would be low volume to play in an apartment) and 0 Watt "Speaker off" (it has a stereo line-out which can be used for recording - you can turn up the master as high as you want to get the sound you want for recording but turning off the speaker so you only hear the sound on your PC for example). Although I love this amp I doubt that this is what you are looking for.

sitnonair

Axe Fx Mark II w MFC 101 Mark II will sovle all of your problems. But it's not cheap so start saving!!!

EvolutionVII

Overkill. Go for USB interface + monitors and use free plugins like TSE X50 or LePou Lecto.

sitnonair

Of course if you want one of the best things in the market right now it's going to cost you. That's why you see it in most of todays guitar rigs around the world. I still use from time to time my Amplitube 3 which is a computer software plug in. Check it out!

Grant G.

Definetley a case for the Blackstar HT-5. This little amp sounds sick at low volumes!!

Bennesto

Tube: definetly a Blackstar HT-5, because the tube sound at low volume is extremely authentic.

Solid State: Peavey Vypyr 15, one of the most underestimated modeling amps out there. As a practice-amp for "bedroom-volume" it is effordable and sounds really nice.

Adrian Arreola

Watch the reviews of the Orange Micro Terror or the Orange Dark Terror. Both are great bedroom/studio amps for the price and depending on your budget and setup you can decide. Other and very different way could be a processor like the DIGITECH GSP1101 with a good cabinet emulation. I use this one with monitors in my small house and it has enough volume and quality to practice or record. With the right cab impulses you can sound as any amp you want. The smaller version, the RP155 is enough to begin, you only need a laptop and a good set of computer speakers.

Clopstyle

Mark V head in 10w mode on a 1x12" cab is nice. Then for a gig, switch it back to 90w and throw it on top of a 4x12'' cab. Win/Win!

Death Magnetic

the mesa boogie mini rectifier is far from low volume

Adam Crow

Line 6 got the DT25 n 50 that has a push pull pot that lets you use the amp at low volumes and balances the loudness of the tubes. and you can control the amp using your Pod HDx (assuming you meant HD500X)

Peter C.

In an apartment it would be hard to beat a pro-grade modeller. The Pod 2.0 is still a benchmark. Digitech are in there too. It is always a good idea to have a modeller up your sleeve and have a range of favourite patches ready to go. Modellers work in stereo and guitar amps don't and stereo trumps mono most times. Modellers solved the volume problem for everyone I think.  

Post to Thread