Plastic Shim Under Locking Nut

Updated
SirMcShredsJr

So a few months back I replaced the locking nut on my LTD M-400 and there was a flat piece of plastic underneath the locking nut. This is not a big deal to me considering its a less expensive guitar and the craftsmanship might not be perfect. The problem is the height of my stings are unbalanced. The plastic shim is only on the high E side of the nut. The high E string though the G string are much higher than the low E and I have set my action super high in order to not get any fret buzz on the A string. I guess my real question is, where can I get one of these pieces of plastic and has anyone experienced a similar problem?!? 

Pushead

It's pretty common, even in high end guitars. In fact, many places that sell replacement Floyd nuts sell them with 2-3 thin shims included.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Bridges_and_Tailpieces_for_Electric_Guitar/Floyd_Rose_Tremolos/Shims_for_Floyd_Rose_Locking_Nut_Set_of_8.html

This is what I would get. You can get individual shims for around $2.50, but I liked having the set of different sizes. It allows easy replacement for when/if you change string gauge or tunings.

SirMcShredsJr

Cool. Ill probably pick up some of those. Thank you.

Post to Thread