M-1000 Volume control

Updated
Jim G.

Hello. I have a M-1000 Koa. Great guitar, but I am having a problem with the volume.

There is not a smooth decrease when lowering the volume knob. It drops to a little less than half volume , then nothing. No volume at all.

Is this a common issue with this guitar? Is there a way to fix it other than using a volume pedal?

Thanks.

Pushead

It sounds like a wiring problem. I'd guess the pot is bad.  Replacing the volume pot is a cheap, quick way to test, if you know how to solder.

Jim G.

Thanks for your reply Pushead. I should have added that I replaced the original pot with one from another guitar that worked fine & it is doing the same thing 

Pushead

Did the donor guitar have EMG pickups as well? I've never run across this particular issue, but if the pot values are the same (10k ohms), then it's probably an issue with the pickup itself. If ESP won't replace it, maybe EMG will.

Sensates

Recently I got myself a MH1000 with Duncans and i noticed it having a similar problem where the volume roll off are not smooth enough, and rolling off volume decreases the treble quite significantly to a point it's barely usable.

I fix the problem by changing the wiring to a 50s wiring (Unable to post links being a new member, try searching for Premier Guitar 50s wiring Telecaster...). It requires only a few wire swaps and no additional parts/wires and Voila! the treble is back! Smooth volume rolloff too. Try it!

Some might think of installing treble bleed mods but I really dislike those.

Post to Thread