Just bought a new E-2... pickups distort??

Updated
Markus Uz

Hi everyone,

I just went and bought a new E-2 Horizon, that came with EMG active 66/57 set. I tried recording it DI, and the sound is distorted. This happens even if the volume pot is down to 1/3. I bought a new battery, changed cord, sound card is not near to clipping. So, I guess it must be the pickup itself.

The bridge pickup height is 2-3 mm from strings. I had to put it down to 5-6 mm before the distortion stopped completely.

I also tested my older Kramer to which I had EMG 81 (and some other for the neck) installed. In that it's not so obvious, but it does distort also.

What's going on? Why are these pickups distorting? Shouldn't it sound just clean when recording DI?

If you wanto hear, here's some samples (all bridge pickups):

https://soundcloud.com/user-994759021/sets/emgs-test

Pushead

What are you using to DI?  Do you have anything with passive pickups to test with?

Markus Uz

I put it straight to my Focusrite Scarlett, and record with Cubase. But I can also hear it for example just plugging my headphones to the guitar.

I actually tested with a guitar with passive SDs. The pup was really close and it clipped too. But I adjusted it to 3-3.5 mm and now it doesn't clip. That distance seems reasonable to me.

Putting the EMG in the ESP to 5-6 mm seems too far, especially if they recommend putting it as close as possible.

Iplay DR DDT 11-54 in all guitars. D-tune. I'm sure they are a bit louder than an average string, but still...

Pushead

Any chance you could test with a direct box instead of what's in your interface?

If not, (and this might sound strange) try reducing the volume of the input on your input.  You might be overdriving your interface.  Try setting it so the loudest hits are only at -10dB.  It will give you some extra headroom on the recorded file.

It might work, it might not.

Markus Uz

Thanks Pushead, but as I said I can hear it regardless of interface. But... I solved it.

At first I didn't seem to find anyone with the same problem, that's why I posted here. But later I did find people talking about exceeding the preamp of their active pups. So, I tried 18 v instead of 9 v, and it worked. Sparkly clean!

Problem is now, that the ESP is designed for a single 9 v. In USA they are selling a solution to this:

http://www.24voltmod.com/

I guess I have to order that then... unless someone knows something similar sold in Europe?

Post to Thread