EMG "failing" sound issue

Updated
EMG "failing" sound issue

Hello,

I am having a issue with a EMG 81 pickup of my MX-250. It is the soldered version. When I plug the guitar, most of the time I get a very weak, thin sound from the bridge pickup. I wait a few seconds, switch between bridge/neck and then the sound of the 81 come up.

I have checked the connections and everything seems ok. Could this be a volume pot problem, or the EMG itself?

Metaddict

Have you also tried a newer battery?

Maybe one of the cables is broken

Pushead

Resolder the connections to the switch.  I've had this problem on several guitars over the years.  Resoldering the switch fixes it.  In fact, there's an infamous video of Hetfield playing and having this exact thing happen to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1nWqEACfdg

Guijs

I've tried a new battery. That is not the problem.

Pushead, so funny you mentioned this video. That is EXACTLY what is happening, but the funny part is that I was at this show! I'm from Brazil. 

I'll try resoldering the switch and post here the results.

Pushead

It's happened to me at a show in almost the exact same way.  Except there were only 10 people there, and no one cheered, and the singer rolled his eyes at me. 

Nathan S.

I don't know what sticks in the selector switch, but in just about all my guitars, regardless of ESP or LTD, anytime they sit for a period of time the first time I switch from bridge to neck it just goes dead. Have to flip the toggle back and forth a few times then will work fine. I don't play live or anything so it really doesn't bother me to bad and I have never looked into fixing it.

Pushead

Not sure what it is, but I've had that problem on many guitars with EMGs and that style of toggle switch.  Even on guitars I've replaced the switch.  Remelting the solder always seems to fix it.

I can't say I've ever had the problem on my KH-2 before.  And I don't remember ever having it with my Gibson, either.

Nathan S.

I've had it with my kh3, couple of my ec1000's do it, my exp200 does it lol. I've gotten used to it, first time one ever did it to me I freaked thinking something was wrong. I need to just train myself to flip the toggle a couple times whenever I pick one up before I even start to play.

Nathan S.

I guess the kh2 is a blade switch though isn't it, everything I have is traditional toggle.

Pushead

Right.  Not sure why the difference.

Guijs

I finally had time to resolder the wires to the switch and unfortunately there problem is still there. I'll try swapping the pots to find out if the problem switches to the neck pickup. 

Pushead

You might want to just melt the solder on the lugs of the pots, first.

Post to Thread