String height and truss rod adjustment for EXP-200(explorers) with low tuning?

Updated
venndi k.

Hello!

Since here are many explorer owner, maybe someone can help me how to set the string height and truss rod on my EXP-200, with low tunings (standard C, standard B).

It is possible, to make a string height at some 1.5mm at 12th fret, without buzzing?
I found some description for how to set it, but it was always for E tuning. I don't know it is the same, or should be the neck relief bigger? The gap at the 7th fret is some .018", when I hold down the 1st fret and the 17th fret on the 6th string.

Pushead

.018 is a pretty small gap at the 7th.  I'm used to 2/64" or 3/64" (around .03" or .8 mm) to the bottom of the low E.  If you get there, you might have an easier time getting to 4/64" or 5/64" (1.5mm to 1.6mm) at the 12th.

But, it depends on where the string is buzzing.  If the guitar was typically set for a smaller gauge of strings in E Standard, you may consider replacing the nut.  I've found that on my C standard guitars that not only did I need to widen the slots in the nut, but the groove was a bit too deep.  The string clearance in at the first few frets, the string didn't have enough clearance.

Another thing to consider, since the EXP-200 is at best 13 years old, it may help to have the frets leveled and re-crowned.  Even if the frets don't look particularly worn, a good re-crown can do wonders for getting action dialed in.

Post to Thread