Fake LTD EXP?

Updated
venndi k.

Hello!

On ebay is an LTD EXP, but little strange for me, becouse I read that the EXP's have serial number on the back of the headstock, or on the last fret. But this guitar have no serial number. So, the ESP had manufactured LTD EXP without serial numbers? And the colour is also too white for me...doesn't?

venndi k.

Thanks for the pics. Well, for me it looks like a legit EXP, but hey, you can buy a chinese man to wolf explorer, and from the pics it looks like a real one.

The colour is a bit illusive, it's not that much bright, I think the very first pic (in the first post) is the most realstic pic about colour.

Here are the pics of the back of the head stock http://postimg.org/gallery/34pdphuci/998867af/ 

Nathan S.

Yep looks like legit LTD that a repaint was done to now that i see the rough paint lines along the fret board. That would explain why the white is still so white. As Pus said, the loose tailpiece bushings aren't a huge issue. I have a V200 from the same era that has the same problem. I tried putting a touch of titebond on them but as soon as I restrung it, they pulled up in the back. Bugs the hell out of me, but is pretty much cosmetic. Congrats on the new axe.

venndi k.

Thanks mate!

The paint job on the other side of the fretboard is perfect, only on that part is a bit rough, but its LTD not ESP, I searchd on the internet, and I've seen things like that by LTD. As you said previously, the LTD logo is also exactly like the original, not saing that is impossible to remake it, but this is perfect. On the other hand, getting of the paint, sanding the wood, then repaint it, maybe even doesn't worth it, I really don't know what to think.

I would be really glad, if someone would check under the truss rode cover, that hole is it painted or not by own EXP-200. I really want to figure it out, that is repainted or not. Here is how looks by mine.

Nathan S.

All my LTD's and ESP's are painted under the truss rod cover, and usually full of buffing compound from the final factory buff out. I don't know man, I'm still saying repaint just cause how white the white is still, and I've never seen a tape line that rough on any of my LTD's. Regardless, still a cool piece!

Nathan S.

Ok, I must recant my statement about not seeing a tape line that rough on any of my LTD's. I was just sitting here playing my black EXP and started looking closer at the tape line on it. Yeah, it's rougher than I thought lol, just don't stand out as bad being black. So, maybe it is original finish, the lack of yellowing really throws me. 

venndi k.

I've checked under the pickups, in the neck pocket (the strings where a bit offset), pocket where are the potentionmeters, under the truss rod, there are absolutly no traces for previous paint job. I'm 90% sure that it's the first painting.

On the guitarscollector site is written, that the production year was 1997-1999 (korea 2003), maybe in Korea (2000-2003) was available in different colours, or it was a protoype.

Anyway, the guitar is great, I have an LTD EC-1000, for me the EXP is much better. I'll keep it until I found and buy a black EXP-200, it maybe takes a long time, it's really hard to find in Europe.

Thanks for the help people!

Nathan S.

If you ever want to sell that white one let me know, although shipping cost to the states would probably put it out of line. You think a black one is hard to find, you found the harder one to find. Keep an eye on ebay, the black ones come up fairly regular, at least in the states anyways.

Dirk S.

I know this thread is ages old but I have one just like this. No SN anywhere, much brighter white than regular OW but it's definitely a 90s instrument and nothing looks refinished, etc. Bought new at a store in Germany back in the day by the previous owner, I think there's a lot of inconsistency out of LTD in the 90s. It plays amazingly btw.

Post to Thread