KH-202 Finish and hardware

Updated
Beamer

Can anyone help me figuring out what's the finish on a Korean ESP LTD Kh-202? I want to blend the painting (spot repair) and I'm trying to figure out what's the right type of paint/finish. Is it nitrocellulose or polyurethane? 

I also need to know what kind of treatment did the hardware received. The hardware is black, but I don't know if it's chromed or galvanized (zinc?). The Floyd Rose base plate and the saddles are starting to oxidize and I know a place where they can give an appropriate treatment.

Can anyone help me?

Pushead

It's a gloss black poly.  Nail polish works well for small crack filling, but I've also used model paint.

Do you have a picture of the hardware?  ESP has used both chromed black finish and a regular black finish.  I'm not positive of the finish process for the hardware, but rust over the years is common.  The chromed hardware will tarnish quickly (in my experience.)

Beamer

This is before I cleaned it. Don't know how it got to this point, I even though someone painted it because there was this layer of dirt encrusted in the bridge. I've cleaned it and tried to sand the rust out so I can send it to be treated properly. 

Pushead

Yeah, it's just a "normal" black.  Not sure how it's achieved, but rust is fairly common.  Especially if you (or a previous owner) is a heavy sweater.  I usually just color over the rust with a black Sharpie and keep playing, but I understand others like keeping them looking extra pretty.

Big Daddy B

I have used clear nail polish when I lived in the midwest to prevent rust on clamps but now I live in the land of no humidity. If you need replacement hardware, check the Stewart McDonald website. I just bought a set of black knobs to replace the black nickel ones that came on a foreign KH20 and they were exact match (just different color). Price was reasonable and shipping was super fast as well. 

Beamer

the thing is I don't live in the US.. I live in Europe, so the shipping would probably cost more than the order. I've tried to find some hardware from local authorized dealers but they can't seem to find parts for this guitar and I don't know any suitable white label parts

Big Daddy B

ESP alledgedly is going to start a parts website within the next couple of months. If you are not in a huge hurry, maybe see what becomes of that. 

Beamer
Big Daddy B wrote:

ESP alledgedly is going to start a parts website within the next couple of months. If you are not in a huge hurry, maybe see what becomes of that. 

any news, or details, on this? is there any low cost option? i need 6 saddles... and the original ones are too expensive! the old ones were sort of rusted in the screw thread and got destroyed in the zinc-coat process...

Big Daddy B

Still no news. I have been using stewart mcdonald and all parts to buy my parts

Post to Thread