The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

s4ndr0

Is this a Legit LTD H-351NT or nah?

Pushead

Looks good to me.

s4ndr0

You sure? Cuz I found some 351NT pictures and they don't have that frame arround the neck

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjY3WDEwMDA=/z/fkQAAOSw1S9WgVeV/$_86.JPG

Pushead

I saw that as well, but everything else checks out okay (logos, markings on the back of the headstock, appropriate hardware and cavities...)

Besides no one would purposely put more abalone purfling on a guitar other than LTD.  I suppose some like it, but it's not my thing.

MrCat

I'm looking for some infos about an ESP I'm gassing on. It's a M-II CTM, with the following serial number: K0548204. The color is red. It has an EMG 81 (B) and an 85 (N), Neck-Through body, an Ebony Fretboard, Floyd Rose, etc etc. From what I've understood, seems the owner has gigged with it a few times and got it in 2014. The overall state is good, the paint has some scratches and the thing that bothers me most are 2 hairline cracks starting on the nut. He claims it's just the lacquer, but I wanted to ask you guys if the guitar is actually legit and if the haircracks are indeed the just on the finish. Unfortunately I can't post any pictures yet :(

Best regards!

MrCat

Here is a link to the pictures I was sent

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1e0AH_ldMc3M1E4YW82Sjl6ODg

Best regards!

Pushead

Yep, legit 2005 Custom Shop M-II Custom.  Likely made for the Japanese market because it lacks the circle logo on the back.

Cracks look to be just in the clear coat to me, though the photo from the bass side makes it look like the crack goes all the way to and around the volute on the back of the neck. The photo of the back of the headstock doesn't seem to show it, so perhaps it's just the light reflection.

MrCat

Thanks for your reply I was quite worried about it.. but well if it's just cosmetic, I guess I can live with it! Many many thanks

Mario R.

Hi there.

Mario R.

I´d likte to buy a Iron Cross from a guy who lives unfortunately far away from here, so i am absolutely not sure if the guitar is legit. so i can post only those 2 photos he sent me (also bad quality!) only this is suspect...!

thank you for your help!!!

mario.

RZK

Get detailed pictures from him. If he can't or won't send you better pictures, I'd stay away. If it's real, and he's serious about selling it, he would send you whatever pictures you wanted.

Mario R.

Thanks RZK. Unfortunately i am Not able to Post those 2 Pics in this System...! M

Pushead

Also, if the price is too good to believe, it's not real.

venndi k.

Hello!

Is this a genuine LTD EXP-200, or just the neck is form the EXP-200, and the body is a grassroots explorer? There is no neck plate, and the positions of the 4 screws are wrong.

EXP-200

Pushead

Woah, that's a weird one. I've never seen the back of a GrassRoots to know for sure. At first I thought it might just be that he lost the neck plate and he used washers instead, but you're right, the screws are in the wrong place.

Since everything else looks good about it, I wonder if maybe there was a crack at the one neck joint hole (the treble side neck) and the solution was to slightly sand down the area and drill a new hole for mounting the neck.

I haven't priced explorers in a while, but 850 quid seems a bit steep.

venndi k.

Here the grassroots gmx48. The holes and screws are exactly like on the above mentioned "LTD EXP-200". If there was no EXP-200 with that method (no neck plate and this screw positions), then it must be a grassroots body.

Yes, in the last few months these EXP-200's are much more pricier then before I think. I linked here a month ago one white EXP-200, which where on the ebay, and the auction ended up with 1300-1400 euro.

Also this Grassroots gmx-48 is for 1185 GBP, which is ridiculous. But on german ebay these grassroots goes for 400-500 euro.

Pushead

Well, looks like an LTD neck on the Grass Roots body. It's not something I would go for, but I'm pretty much covered as far as Explorers go. The guitar itself looks in pretty reasonable condition, but I doubt the body is an original LTD.  I guess it's probably priced right, and there's a "make offer" option.

Chunkfunk

Hello, long time lurker & lover of all things ESP. What do you lot think of this guitar? Bit suss to me..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ESP-EC-1000-Deluxe-LTD-Electric-Guitar-/322544497948?hash=item4b1926751c:g:evIAAOSwfRdZNlx2

Post to Thread