The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Jones

OK yeah serial number is IR0427368 made in indonesia. I am aware Indonesia is supposed to start with w. There is no 04 catalog the pickups look different in the 2000 catalog. Pickups look more like the 05 catalog but says its only offered  in black and titanium. I will try to get to a PC soon and see if I can upload pics

Pushead

I don't think Indonesia starts with a W. W is (was?) World Musical Instruments in Korea.

The letter should designate the factory it came from.

Jones

ah ha ok i figured out the pics

Jones

these two screen caps i believe to be real i am not sure tho and there doesnt seem to be any solid information on it

Pushead

It looks legit to me. It's from before they had to put the non-hazardous materials information on the headstock. I suspect if you open the control cover on the back you'll find a battery in the cavity.

Jones

Nope no battery what so ever. Nothing even wired in circuit with the pots or pickups which confuses me. Opening the back plate you can see a distinct 3 sections to the body a thicker back and top and a thinner middle section sandwiched together. I don't know enough about them to know if this is how they were made. Is there any way to tell for certain like email esp or are you the guy to talk to? Basically I want to know for sure just in case I decide to resell its illegal to sell a fake without discloser. Maybe I can take it to the local music shop however generally they are useless and don't know anything. Anyway thanks a lot for the time and effort you have put in to helping me figure this out I really appreciate it. It's a very impressive fake if it is. However without active tone and it being a color that they didn't seem to offer I think it may be. If I can get confirmation on the serial or possibly the way they are built I would accept it being real. You are doing a great service here keep up the good work

Pushead

Nah, I'm just a fan. I have a lot of experience with ESP guitars, so I typically have a fairly good eye for the details.

You might be better off emailing their customer service at customerservice@espguitars.com

Jeff W.

Fake?

Pushead

Not a fake, but not the original finish. It's a legit 2007.

I believe I've seen this one before. I think a previous owner took a distressed VHB (Vintage Honey Burst) and tried refinished it, trying to make it see-through black.

Pedro BIcalho

U can tell if mine was fake?

Pedro BIcalho

imgur com/a/YV9Vj

Pushead
Pedro BIcalho

Thank you! this white pickup switch was bothering me.

Pushead

Nah. Those are easily replaced.

Jose G.

What’s up guys. I found a ESP James Hetfield Vulture V but I need to get authenticated before I even put in an offer 

the serial number looks off to me. Please let me know! 

Pushead

Wow, they're really trying. Failing horribly, but really trying.

I suspect you already knew it was fake before asking. A price "too good to believe" should always tip you off.

Breadfan32

Wow!  This thing is awful! 

Adil

EC 1000QMcan anyone please help me that is this Ltd is real or replica ? specially the logo of ESP in back headstock. I hardly found this. Most of them are written as "designed by ESP"

Please help !!!

Pushead

It's legit. It's a 2011 model.

Post to Thread