guitar clean

Updated
Charis V.

I have an ESP m2 Deluxe model! I would like to ask if it is ok to use a lemon oil Daddario in my fretboard or this would destroy the woold! Thank you!!

Dave P.

I am in a similar situation with my first valuable unfinished (ebony) fretboard so have been doing research. What I have found is a ton of different opinions on the topic from those who say never put anything to those who say every string change - and then those who say yes, insist you use everything from spit/nose-oil to a whole slew of various guitar products or oil types as being best.

The guitar manufacturers do not even agree on what to use.  ESP does state lemon oil.

What I am taking away from what I have read so far is that there is no right answer, with most favoring older methods with known track records without long term damage.

Oldest being naphtha for cleaning followed with linseed oil, followed by just dry mechanical cleaning (cloth, tooth brush, 0000 steel wool, razor blade) and then lemon oil.

The tips I like most:

Play with clean hands

Wipe strings and guitar with soft dry cloth after playing.

Use a small amount of mild (automotive) detergent with water to dampen a cloth to clean finished surfaces, followed by another dampened with water to remove detergent/dirt.

Use quality automotive carnauba wax on finished wood after clean so only soft dry wipe needed from then on.

Only clean fretboard with more than a dry cloth when needed, and then use alcohol swabs for this. For stubborn dirt, use soft bristled tooth brush.

(only) after using swabs, add smallest amount of any trusted guitar specific product (i.e. a Lemon Oil) possible and then try to rub as much of it off/away with cloth.

Never use polish/cleaners/wax for finished surfaces on unfinished (ebony/rosewood) fretboard; but finished (maple) fretboards it is ok.

Do not subject guitar to extreme low or high temperature/humidity levels - or rapid changes of same.

For same reason as playing with clean hands, change strings when they get gunked up. If you can't, clean your (uncoated) strings with the Lemon Oil same as your fretboard above.

Charis V.

Thank you a lot for your time my friend!!What about the body of the guitar?Is it ok to use a bit of lemon oil there or only on the fretboard?

Dave P.

Do not put lemon oil on finished surfaces. Be careful to keep it on the rosewood/ebony only.

I gave some tips for body, usually not much is needed beyond a clean high quality cloth and gently rubbing, but if it doesnt, a few drops of water to dampen the same cloth typically does.

To boost shine, there is little fear in using any guitar specific cleaner-polish BUT... if it is a matte/flat finish, be very careful and learn how these are dealt with - I can't help as I have no experience with these beyond reading they can be messed up bad by typical methods for gloss finishes.

In case you did not get it out of my first reply, I am no expert - but I love my guitars and try my best to keep them (when in doubt, don't do it). I replied as this forum is pretty dead and thought my answer way better than none.

jt76

I use music nomad f-one fretboard oil.   - safe on all unfinished woods.  I have been using it for years to clean rosewood and ebony necks with no problems.

Check out their website, They have every type of guitar cleaning product you would need and a how to section with in instructions videos and product recomendation charts.   www.musicnomadcare.com/f-one.html

Charis V.

Thank you guys

Big Daddy B

Yes I concur, never use lemon oil on a maple board. My tech actually uses a coconut oil mixture on my rosewood and ebony boards. Works like a charm. I use Dunlop 65 solution to clean the bodies.

Dave P.

To OP... there are many Dunlop 65 bottles - some are cleaners and polish for finishes and others for unfinished fretboards - do not mix them up.

I just detailed a 1979 Fender acoustic that was ignored for most it's life. I used alc.swabs and Dunlop 65 lemon oil on rosewood fretboard and am pleased. Used meguiars ultimate compound to remove finish scratches, ultimate polish to restore lustre and then ultimate wax to shine and protect. My daughter walked in and asked if I got a new guitar. Probably will not need more than a soft dry cloth for rest it's life now.

I think the truth is to only do anything if it is needed, only as much as needed, and use a suitable product for what is needed - more than who makes the product but that it is designed for what it is being applied to.

I wanted Fret Dr, but only had access to Dunlop, Fender and Gibson products - so chose Dunlop. The others may have been as good or better, but I got the results I wanted.

Post to Thread