How to spot fake ESP

Updated
How to spot fake ESP

Hey guys,

Do you have any knowledge regarding fake guitars and how to spot them?

Maybe guitar companies should start a database where we could register original guitars and verify their authenticity. I understand that, I his is extra cost but we have to somehow protect ourselves from not honest seller, specially when we buy used instruments.

Pushead

Hey Jonas, it's a legit 2004 KH-202.

Rick R.

Hi, Does anyone know if this is real. It is an USA M-lll, but It is not a shredder, Only 22 frets. Every other one I looked at had 24 (except one) Also this has a pick guard. None of the other did. He said the pick guard broke and he could not get another and made one. It also has different pickups and tuners than most of these. The Pics mostly look OK but I am hardly an expert, please help

Pushead

I've never seen anything like that. Especially the bridge. The serial number shows it to be a 2017 model, but the logo on the headstock seems more modern (the USA shop recently started using the metallic foil logos as an option.) The body and neck look more like a John Gaudessi build (from the USA shop in 1999-ish), but I don't know enough about either the new or old USA builds to confirm for sure. One thing, I'd be extra shocked if that's the original case for the guitar.

I'd suggest reaching out to customerservice@espguitar.com or Spongebrick on Instagram (the head painter at ESP USA) and getting their take.

Rick R.

Hi, Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that the bridge is not original either. The guy said a friend of his worked for ESP and got this. I don't see it listed anymore so he might have sold it.

Ken C.

Hi I am looking to buy this ESP Amorous that is supposedly a custom. Anyone able to tell if its legit? The certificate does look a bit suspicious with the joint wording.

Pushead

I'm not super familiar with the model or the artist, but there's nothing here that jumps out at me as wrong. The spacing of some of the words in the COA is a bit odd, but it is a foreign language to the people in the Japanese factory.

Yu-Yuan H.

Hey guys. I'm about to buy an used ESP LTD F-250.
The seller sent me the photo of serial number.
But I'm not sure if it's legit or not...

Pete P.

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a guitar and I'm not sure if it's an original or a fake. I have attached pictures of the guitar for your reference. However, I am having trouble deciphering the serial number and I also noticed that there is no "designed by" label on the back of the headstock.

Could someone help me out and let me know if it's an original or a replica?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pushead

Hi Pete. This is the first time I've seen a "D" as the factory code in the serial number, but everything looks ok on the guitar. An EC-401, right? The serial number points to it being from 2011. The Grover tuners likely aren't original.

Robert G.

Good guitar, that epiphone?

joshua m.

So I am thinking about buying this but there are a few things that make me think it may be a knockoff. To start I've never seen that ESP logo on any other ESP guitar except for James hetfield signature vulture V I think they are. Also there are a few imperfections on it which you may or may not be able to see in the pictures. There was no visible cereal number on the outside of it anywhere which makes me think it might be somewhere under one of the back plates? And I've never seen another arrow V with that logo on it obviously. However the guitar is super light as it could be made of mahogany or alder. The action is phenomenal on it. It seems to have EMG pickups unless those are knock off also. And I'm not sure about the Floyd either. Any opinions or input would be very much appreciated.

joshua m.

Pushead

Hi, Joshua. Unfortunately, we can't see the image. But based on what you've described, I'd be wary. If the logo isn't on the back of the headstock, and it wasn't made in the 80s, it doesn't bode well.

Juan G.

Hey guys just bought my first esp ltd f-50 guitar and I wanted to know if this one is fake or not. Pretty new to the esp guitar scene and would appreciate some help on this if possible.

Pushead

Hi Juan. It's a legit F-50 from 2009.

john J.

Real? Thinking of purchasing, not best picture. Don't see any markings on back of headstock, at pawn shop and great price so suspicious.

Post to Thread