Tailpiece height?

Updated
Tailpiece height?

Hello friends!

I´ve been wondering about tailpiece height. How do you setup the tailpiece on yout guitars? I noticed when you set ot very low, the strings feels softer, with less tension. If I raise the tailpiece, the strings feels harder, with more tension.Some ppl say the opposite but thats how it does with my guitar. So, the tension of the strings change the tone of my guitar or only the feeling of the strings?

Pushead

Most people find the opposite of what you've listed.  When the stop-bar is closer to the body of the guitar there is more apparent tension (more properly called compliance) because of the break angle over the bridge (and nut, but that's not typically adjustable.)  When the stop-bar is further from the body, there is less compliance, so the strings feel "looser."

Many people say not to lower the stop bar so low that the strings touch the back of the bridge.  Personally, I like "tighter" (less compliant) strings, so I put the stop bar on the body.

Eduardo M.

I read in other forum somewhere the strings feels tighter when the tailpiece is set lower, sitting on the body. But personaly, on my guitars, its the opossite. I just raised just a little bit the tailpiece on my guitar because I was felling the strings too light, making it hard to maintain rithym when doing some heavy fast palm muted picking, because when the strings have less tension the movement of the strings up and down while you are hitting it gets wider. I tune my guitars in Eb using 010 strings. I also noticed pinch harmonics come out easier with tighter strings. Is that correct? About the tone, is there any difference in tighter or looser strings?

Post to Thread