How to spot a fake ESP

Updated
How to spot a fake ESP

Hi everyone, this is my first post here on the forum!!! 

So here's the deal.
I am about to buy a second hand ESP Eclipse II VB with it's OHSC  (Standard Series btw).

Here's the thing. I want to make sure it's legit. I can only go so far on my own so I need a few tips on what to look for to make sure it is the real deal. Little things that no counterfeit manufacturer would think of. 

So far I've checked the guitar out once, as the seller lives quite far away. Here are a few things that I noticed, that I considered noteworthy.

• Ok so first off I do have a serial number and the guitar was produced in 2007.
  • The tuners said Gotoh on the back of them.
  • A large area of the gold paint from the tuneomatic bridge had faded to reveal a silver bridge underneath. (Does the gold paint come off that easily???)
  • The guitar felt great to play on and was very comfortable. (Comparing this to a 100% real Eclipse I tested not long ago)
  • Pretty sure the fretboard was ebony. It was the right color and everything. It felt great. (But are there any other types of dark colored/black wood that could be used on a fretboard?)
  • Also, was the ESP Eclipse VB of 2007 shipped in different types of cases? I can't remember for sure right now but I think the case didn't have a cutaway to fit the shape of the guitars' body. Also It had a small compartment on one side of the area that the neck sits on (Basically you could open this compartment without lifting the guitar out of the way). A friend of mine who has the same guitar, but a 2011 model, had it dilivered in a case that had a large compartment that covered all the section on which the guitar neck rests.

Any help and tips on identyfying a fake would be trully appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Pushead

Yeah, it's legit. Another 2010 Eclipse II. This is the distressed vintage honey burst finish. They weren't available very long.

Thank you for correctly identifying the chimpanzee rather than calling it a monkey.

mai p.

Hi,

Trying to see if a guitar I am interested in is real.

Does any one know if ESP Eclipse I or II guitars were ever shipped with a guitar shaped case (like a Gibby LP) with a small ESP logo to the left of the handle, or were they only shipped with the standard rectangular cases?

Also, anybody know of fakes of the ESP Eclipse I or II CTM Vibratos being made?

Many thanks.

mai p.

Adding to the above, a couple of pics - looks really nice and legit to me, but not sure re. case but could be fine

Pushead

The guitar is legit, a 2010 model. The case is not original.

mai p.

Thanks Pushead, much appreciated.

mai p.

@Pushead, thanks again for your quick reply.  Out of interest, what are the key issues that you would see if the guitar was a fake?  From reading the forum and checking other sources, seems issues would include - rough, uneven binding, the esp logo on the back of the headstock may not be as sharp (both circle and font), multiple pieces used for the main body back as opposed to single slab, use of photo veneers for the top that did not have the 3D appearance of true quilted/flamed maple etc.  Another way of putting this would be what was correct with this guitar compared to fakes?

Many thanks

Pushead

There are probably 5 or 6 other threads in these forums about fake guitars where we go more in depth about what stands out about specific fake guitars. On over 90% of the fake guitars that get posted here, you can tell by a combination of the body shape and logos. Sometimes we need to go a little deeper, but most of the time, someone with enough experience with the brand can tell in a quick look.

As I've said in some of the other threads, my opinion is worth nearly what you've paid for it (nothing.) I don't work for ESP and I don't claim to. But, in the cases where I offer an opinion that the guitar is legit, it means that if I were looking to buy that model of guitar, I'd feel comfortable buying the one in the photos without worrying that I was buying a fake.

I have a lot of in-hand experience with ESP, E-II and LTD guitars. As proof, I'll offer an old photo of my collection. Some of the individual guitars have left and a few not pictured have arrived, but, well, you get the idea.

Post to Thread