• JSHRED

I wish you were in my area, I'd take care of it for you. I have all the files and gauges. Nut work is the bread and buttah of guitars.

I honestly don't have any real objections if you want to grab a .010 file from Stew Mac. Yes, you can go too far, but here's a safe approach.

String up your guitar, if it isn't already.

Loosen your high E by a set amount, say 3 turns of the peg. Temporarily move the string from the E slot to the B slot.

Give the file a few drags through the slot. Try to be level and straight.

Put the string back, tighten it with the same number of turns to get it close to pitch, and feel it. Better? Great, you're done. Not it? Repeat until you get there.

NOW. If you get a little crazy and go too deep, as a last resort, if you can get a tube of super glue with a micro applicator needle tip, you can put a microscopic dab of superglue down in the slot and it will raise it up a smidge. Just make sure you let it dry before you restring! But all in all, it's better if you stop filing before it gets that low.

I wish I could measure it, check it and fix it for you, but it sounds like you've got the right idea. Good luck.

• powerchord

I wish you were in my area, I'd take care of it for you. I have all the files and gauges. Nut work is the bread and buttah of guitars.

I honestly don't have any real objections if you want to grab a .010 file from Stew Mac. Yes, you can go too far, but here's a safe approach.

Loosen your high E by a set amount, say 3 turns of the peg. Temporarily move the string from the E slot to the B slot.

Put the string back, tighten it with the same number of turns to get it close to pitch, and feel it. Better? Great, you're done. Not it? Repeat until you get there.

NOW. If you get a little crazy and go too deep, as a last resort, if you can get a tube of super glue with a micro applicator needle tip, you can put a microscopic dab of superglue down in the slot and it will raise it up a smidge. Just make sure you let it dry before you restring! But all in all, it's better if you stop filing before it gets that low.

I wish I could measure it, check it and fix it for you, but it sounds like you've got the right idea. Good luck.

i ordered the file online, ill take your advice and not go crazy with it. ill do like 2 drags with file at a time then tune test. i don't say its too far off.
      i seen a few instruction videos too online which i will check over technique before hand.

thanks !!

• powerchord

got .010 nut file last week, 4 drags and string sits perfect. sounds great now. :)

Cancel