EMG solderless system

Updated
ammar
So my F-2005 volume pot was acting up, decided to re wire the guitar with the pots and output jack that came along the JH set. Did everything correctly but the signal was TOO weak. If I touched the guitar cable and pulled it up, the signal was normal. So I removed the jack and ensured that all connections are firm and the signal was fine again. However, I still feel that the guitar had more gain and volume before the switch, mind you I re stringed the guitar and put a new battery..... Can I cut off the quick connect terminals form the out pout jack wires and solder them? I am suspecting the output jack connections.....
WildeStarr

Can I cut off the quick connect terminals form the out pout jack wires and solder them? I am suspecting the output jack connections.....

Give that a shot, it won't hurt anything. But, my guess is that you may have made en error somewhere else in the wiring. The solder-less connections can be a bit tricky at first.

:cool:

Big Rich

you can cut strip and resolder them. try to eliminate things before though. could be that you need a new battery

ammar

thanks guys. I put a new battery in there. I triple checked the polarity of the quick-connect terminals and locations. All looks fine except the connectorts to the output jack.

I will try and report back.

Thanks

Irontusk73

When ever I install new EMGs in my guitar that always happens. I just redo the whole thing and it fixes whatever I did or didn't do.

ammar

re wire the whole thing?

Irontusk73

Yeah honestly it helps. I've done the same thing for people who bring their guitar into my work.

shathe

try bending in the connectors on your jack. they might not be making good contact with the end of your cable or might have been bent when you took it out. do the same with your toggle switch if you have one.

ammar

Got it... will do guys, thanks for the help :)

ammar

Well......FUCK solder-less system. The tone feels like there is a HUGE resistor placed in between, weak and puny signal. Ideas??

antikue

It's the solderless system alright, I tried two different sets with EMG X's, normal EMGs and Blackouts, and I'm confident the pickup buss eats the signal up somehow. Running the same pickups through a traditional wiring method (by soldering, that is) worked every time. In retrospect, I do think the X series is surprisingly weak and muffled even when the wiring is done right.

deus ex machina

Yeah, the Solderless system (the BUS, specifically) does eat up a little bit of output compared to actually soldering stuff. At least I find it that way myself.

ammar

So i need to re wire the guitar........oh well :/

ammar

I replaced the output jack...BAM!! All back to normal.

I used the 7 years old stock output jack instead of the one supplied with the pickups!

WildeStarr

I prefer the old school way myself: Soldering. I believe that you can still request the pickups from EMG with the old style pots and wiring.

:cool:

ammar

Yeah, I am thinking to put a JH set in my EC1000VB, if only they made them in gold :/

ammar

Right..........so I have way too many guitars with EMG and since the above mentioned guitar took a dump on me when rewiring it with solder-less, I thought what the hell.....maybe it is time for different pickups.

I have the ESP SV with EMG 81/81 and it sounds massive, so the F2005 gets a fresh set of pickups, methinks SD Blackouts!

The guitar is Mahogany, 25.5'' scale, strings through body and ebony finger board. Any suggestions and/or experiences with the pickups.

Post to Thread