Heavy String Gauges

Updated
Heavy String Gauges
Why is it so hard to find heavy gauges? MF & the like all have Elixers in light, extra light, and medium. Shit the heaviest they have (medium) is 10-46, WTF! I'm forced to go with some DR brand DDT strings:mad: Hopefully it's a good brand, I've never tried 'em. Please don't let them be as bright & twangy like Dean Markely Blue Steels, god please!|I Anyone have any good heavy gauge string brands? Share the secret!
Road King

Ernie Balls strings? I use the DM Blue Steels, lol.

Powerslave

GHS zakk wylde sets

Murdoc

GHS zakk wylde sets
Cool, I'll check those out!
Ernie Balls strings? I use the DM Blue Steels, lol.
I used them back in the '90's and loved 'em. I bought some last year and was like WHY do these sound so tinny, trebley & sharp. :\
That's funny though, your like "I use them" :lol

metalhobo

Elixir 12-68!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/elixir-nanoweb-baritone-electric-guitar-strings

:confused:

That's what I put on my Jackson tuned down to B. Works great.

Velt017

I can't say enough good things about the dunlop heavy core strings. The 12-54s are fantastic in drop B. Good tension, long life and good price.

Murdoc

I can't say enough good things about the dunlop heavy core strings. The 12-54s are fantastic in drop B. Good tension, long life and good price.
These might be heavy enough. I've never strung anything up with more than 10-48 so I don't want to feel like I'm playing a bass.:D

Richard A.

Yep only strings i use are the Heavy Core's the whole line is great

load more replies (1 of 1)
Metaldude

u gotta try Ernie ball !! those strings just rock ! I tried DR , Elixir , Dunlop , Deanmarkley , and I still stay with Ernie's . if never tried something heavier than Beefy slinky , think that's 54 , and they are like never going out of tune .
I'd recommend dunlop too , I had em once on my guitar and they were staying in tune as well . the feel was pretty nice too but u should order both brands and try them out , but u cant go wrong with Ernie's . slash , Kirk , James , angus , Eric Clapton , jimmy page , Vai , stones ..... I think all of them play Ernie's for a reason ^^
u said u played them back in the 90s .. maybe u wanna try some newer Ernie's , there are new series called "Cobalt" , I think they r gonna kick some ass and I'm gonna give them a shot but they're not available at my place yet .

Metaldude

Wow thats some covert advertisement right there :lol

Murdoc

^^^ Got Avatar? ^^^

Rydock

I exclusively use DR DDT 11-54 on my ESP original series because of how good these strings are. They feel and sound amazing. Probably the only string series that packages the exact gauge I need for the tuning I play in. Last really long too compared to other brands (i.e. d'addario, ernie ball).

Murdoc

I exclusively use DR DDT 11-54 on my ESP original series because of how good these strings are. They feel and sound amazing. Probably the only string series that packages the exact gauge I need for the tuning I play in. Last really long too compared to other brands (i.e. d'addario, ernie ball).
Glad to hear it man! Cause I ordered 2 sets of the DR DDT 12-60's for my new guitar that I'm gonna have in C#. It outta sound mean as fuck.

shathe

i use base strings on top and nylon for the high e and b and then tune everything down a full octave except for the low e, which is tuned up a full octave.

Murdoc

i use base strings on top and nylon for the high e and b and then tune everything down a full octave except for the low e, which is tuned up a full octave.
Ok0]

LOL:lol

HateEvent

I am currently on custom gauge Elixirs - 11 14 18 32 46 56. A bit more expensive but they feel pretty good.

Murdoc

I am currently on custom gauge Elixirs - 11 14 18 32 46 56. A bit more expensive but they feel pretty good.
Did you have to file your nut slot a little wider for the 56 gauge? I haven't put my 60's on yet and I'm hoping I don't have to order a nut file from StewMac.

tyler t.

for my 7 string i use power slinky's. and for my whoreizon im using the dunlop heavy core heaviest set.

Post to Thread