Locking tuners that don't require drilling holes in my baby

Updated
pillbug
Hi all, I have an LTD Viper 300M which I love and got a great price on. My idea is that for a few bucks I could basically upgrade it to a Viper 1000 spec by installing locking tuners and locking TOM bridge/tailpiece. It has the ESP non-locking tuners, which are secured to the headstock by a single screw. Are there any locking tuners that would not require drilling any holes into the headstock? I've already tried Sperzels, which were my first choice, and unfortunately they secure to the headstock by a peg that sticks out of the casing, which would require drilling a hole for said peg, and then having the exposed screw holes from the original tuners. Any ideas? Thanks folks. p.s. my next step, if successful, is to try the same thing with my GUS-200.
atreyu2112

The locking tuners came yesterday. The black-nickel matches the stock ESP/LTD hardware PERFECTLY. I got a set for each the EC-401FM (3x3) and the MH-350NT (6 in line).

So far I installed the set on my MH. If I had to guess, these are 16:1 ratio like the Schaller mini locking tuners. The pin mechanism in the Schaller mini & Grover Roto-grips is better (the pin itself is a better fit). Other than that, and yes I'm saying it, these are on par with the rest of the locking tuners I have tried. Probably made at the same factory. Given that the Grover Roto-Grip's have a better gear ratio, they are probably more precise.

To get matching black-nickel hardware, and at the price these go for... I am very happy indeed. Definite improvement over the stock ESP tuners. Maybe better than the stock Grovers that come on the EC-401... Ultimately, time will tell.

I will post finish comparison pics tomorrow.

And a follow up when the strings are properly broken in and a few good throw downs.

Post to Thread