Locking tuners that don't require drilling holes in my baby

Updated
pillbug
Hi all, I have an LTD Viper 300M which I love and got a great price on. My idea is that for a few bucks I could basically upgrade it to a Viper 1000 spec by installing locking tuners and locking TOM bridge/tailpiece. It has the ESP non-locking tuners, which are secured to the headstock by a single screw. Are there any locking tuners that would not require drilling any holes into the headstock? I've already tried Sperzels, which were my first choice, and unfortunately they secure to the headstock by a peg that sticks out of the casing, which would require drilling a hole for said peg, and then having the exposed screw holes from the original tuners. Any ideas? Thanks folks. p.s. my next step, if successful, is to try the same thing with my GUS-200.
shathe

need a pic of the headstock.
there are a few variations of where the holes are drilled.
there are a number of possible solutions but you'll have to be careful about what you buy so that it will actually fit.

pillbug

Thanks ozzuk1 - I like the look of the Gotoh tuners, and the cosmo black as they call it, seems like it would match the black nickel of the LTDs.

shathe

vc schallers

ozzuk1

Cosmo black is darker and imo nicer looking than the black nickel, I have cosmo gotohs on my ex 50 with black nickel Kahler/locking nut doesent mismatch but it is a minor difference..

You can also get locking Gotoh's with a 21/1 ratio the standard locking ones are 16/1 which is smoother than the sperzels...

load more replies (1 of 1)
shathe

another note on sperzels. they don't make em with black posts. so you cannot do a good black out. it's gold or silver. and that sucks.

...see

pillbug

No problem Shathe, many thanks for th replies & info - good stuff.

deus ex machina

Planet Waves also fit those 6-in-line headstocks.

Tondog

The cosmic black Gotohs match the black nickle VERY closely.

pillbug

Awesome, I am going to do that - I generally like MF and have had good luck with them.

Thanks!!!

shathe

cool, hope you like them. if you don't you can send them back at no cost, so it's a good deal if you're not sure what you're looking for.

atreyu2112

Hey shathe... where did you get those 3x3 black chrome/nickel locking tuners? I want to replace the stock Grovers but match the stock color without extra screw holes. Thanks!

shathe

wait, scratch that, i totally forgot about little pauli...

sorry the pics are shitty... just took some quick snaps.
but you get the idea...

pillbug

Wow man, that is a sweeeeet lookin' guitar!

atreyu2112

Thanks pillbug! When I saw the guitar, I think I knew I had to buy it. I didn't the first time, but I thought about it for 3 days and went back to pick it up. They are putting out some beautiful guitars.

As far as matching the color of the hardware...

Grover's official name for the finish is "Black Nickel" or BN, not Cosmo Black (which is Black).
Gotoh calls it "Cosmo Black"
Schaller's name for the finish is "Ruthenium" or RU

Schaller makes their M6 2000 Mini Locking Tuners in Ruthenium, 3x3 set, but finding them is proving VERY difficult. These are my first choice if I can get them and around $100.

My second choice would be the Grover Mini Roto Lock tuners, but they only come in chrome, gold or black. So I'd have to go with chrome or black and swap the buttons for whith pearloid or something.

I'd go with Gotoh, but I am not into the top locking tuners with the reverse thread that self lock. It they made a set like the PRS Phase 2 locking tuners, that'd be a different story as most all Gotoh tuners are available in their Cosmo Black.

atreyu2112

PS ... The Grover machines used on the ESP LTD EC401FM are 14:1 gear ratio Mini Rotomatics in Black Nickel series 205 BN

ozzuk1

Gotohs cosmo black is different to black nickel, it's also been around since the early 90's when Ibanez started using it, it's much darker and has more grey in it than black ncikel which is lighter...

atreyu2112

I was going to place an order for the Schaller M6 2000 Mini Locking Tuners 3x3 in Ruthenium, about $110 and a 3-4 month wait! So...

I found (stumbled) upon a guy that sells ProLine thumb-grip locking tuners in black nickel (same finish as on LTD guitars), reasonably priced. They're either 16:1 or 19:1 ratio, so they'll be at least on par with the Schallers.

I got a LTD MH-350NT today, so I ordered a set for both that guitar & my EC-401FM.

They should be here in a couple days, so I will post a review and pictures when I get them and if they're good, I'll post the link!

shathe

I was going to place an order for the Schaller M6 2000 Mini Locking Tuners 3x3 in Ruthenium, about $110 and a 3-4 month wait! So...

I found (stumbled) upon a guy that sells ProLine thumb-grip locking tuners in black nickel (same finish as on LTD guitars), reasonably priced. They're either 16:1 or 19:1 ratio, so they'll be at least on par with the Schallers.

I got a LTD MH-350NT today, so I ordered a set for both that guitar & my EC-401FM.

They should be here in a couple days, so I will post a review and pictures when I get them and if they're good, I'll post the link!

um, i've never even heard of "proline", so i doubt they'll be "on par" with schallers, which, along with gotoh, are top notch.

with tuners' you generally get what you pay for. schallers are a pain in the ass because, even though they make all this cool shit, most retailers won't stock anything more than their very basic stuff. usually their low end in chrome. this is because of the way scahaller treats their customers, not because of the quality of their product. they only ship to the states about 4 times a year (and it's late when you get it) and you have to order MASSIVE quantities of anything or they won't bother with you.

i had to get mine stuff through a guy in germany...

Post to Thread