Tried Pulling the EMGs out of my M-300FM

Updated
Maz
Hey guys, I'm new here, I switched the EMGs in my M-300FM to Dimarzios, but I have a couple issues. First, all I got was hiss, so I stupidly cut the jumper wire on the 3-way, which I pointed to with a screw driver. I'm hoping that's the only thing wrong there, but I took another close up if anyone can tell me what's wrong there. Second, I'm getting a lot of hiss through my amp that I usually don't get. The picture of the tremolo claw shows where i think I'm supposed to ground it, but I don't know where to send a ground wire. The picture of the pot also shows where I grounded the pickups, put the little loop won't bend back so I grounded to the pot then sent a wire from the loop to where I grounded. I mainly get hiss in the bridge position, only normal hiss from the neck pickup. Are there any experts who know what's going on here?
fireheart82

did you change all the 25k pots to 500k or 1meg?

Maz

yeah i pulled out the 25ks and put in 500ks

fireheart82

and you checked the colour codes chart and that cables are correct placed? only thing i did wrong one time was when placing the ibanez pickguard back on the guitar. the switch touched the grounding cable screwed to the body. a little fauls like that can be easaly overseen..

Murdoc

Make sure all your solder points are clean so you get good contact.
Make sure the ground is soldered to the trem spring claw. Since your going from actives to passives you need a dedicated ground. IDK if the stereo jack needs to be replaced to mono or not?:confused: You might want to look into that.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Maz

Yeah I followed a couple diagrams as closely as possible, but I'm trying to figure out where to send a ground wire from the bridge, this is my first time installing passives, and I can't find any information through searches.

Impulse 101

The ground wire goes from the trem claw to any of the pot casings. However, not having the ground wire to the bridge connected will not stop the pickups from working, they will just buzz all of the time. The bridge ground wire makes the player into part of the guitars shielding scheme, it has no effect on whether the instrument passes audio or not.

JT

Murdoc

I have a m300-fm too and I wouldn't take out the actives to put in passives.:\ If you have to though the dedicated ground goes from the trem claw to the volume or tone pot case. IDK if I would ever take mine apart though. I love the way it came stock.:cool:

Post to Thread