Floyd rose

Updated
Fatboy
Hi all. Having owned an MH-400 for a few years now I'm pretty sick of the licensed floyd. The main reason is the screws being in such an awkward place when it comes to changing the strings. I've been thinking about buying a schaller to replace it, however its a lot of money (£150 -ish). I was just wondering if anyone has any experience doing this? Would there be any tone/sustain benefits or would I just be getting slightly better tuning stability and locking screws in a sensible place?
Beto

Hi all. Having owned an MH-400 for a few years now I'm pretty sick of the licensed floyd. The main reason is the screws being in such an awkward place when it comes to changing the strings. I've been thinking about buying a schaller to replace it, however its a lot of money (£150 -ish). I was just wondering if anyone has any experience doing this? Would there be any tone/sustain benefits or would I just be getting slightly better tuning stability and locking screws in a sensible place?

I have a MH-301 and its bridge was crappy as well.
I replaced it for an OFR PRO. Now I have a very solid neck-thru LTD (with an 81/85 set) that plays great (of course, it also needed a fret job).

Did I spend a lot of money? Some would say 'yes'.
Did I regret? Not even for a fraction of a second. It just doesn't go out of tune. Period.

Fatboy

Thanks man. How difficult was it to do? Do you need any special tools or anything?

Beto

Thanks man. How difficult was it to do? Do you need any special tools or anything?

It was easy. All I had to do is opening the wallet, pulling some bills out of it and giving them to the luthier who did the job.

He had to plug the original holes and open new ones for the pivot sturds because the measures from the non-licensed FR that came in the guitar doesn't match the measures of any OFR model. In other words, this is not an amateur task.

If you decide to replace your bridge with an OFR, you better check the templates for both OFR and OFR-PRO available at Floyd Rose website.

I have posted a picure of my LTD with the new bridge. Check my previous posts to find it.

load more replies (2 of 2)
Fatboy

So my MH-400 is 2004... I shouldn't have any issues right? What are all the things that an OFR will give me over a LFR? I mean could I hope to get any more sustain or am I really just looking at tuning stability?

Post to Thread