Mahogany sourcing

Updated
Mahogany sourcing
Anyone have info on where ESP/LTD sources their mahogany. Interested in knowing where in relation to production lines if possible, Standards, Signatures, 1000, 400, and 200 series. Any info is appreciated.
Feraledge

Anyone have ideas about their rosewood and ebony?

And I didn't specify it above, but Honduran mahogany is extremely endangered.

xZYRYABx

you seem to know alot about endangered woods....
so you should also know about the CITES agreement and its enforcement by government agencies no doubt.
ESP would not risk the whole company over using illegal wood, let alone advertise it on their web-site.

TL;DR The honduran mahogany they reference is probably legally harvested or stock from before CITES.

Feraledge

I want to believe the woods are harvested with some degree of responsibility and I'm hoping that could be the case, but I'm not going to be delusional about it.
Most of the regulation surrounds paper trails and there's no doubt going to be corruption when the president of Gibson is on the board for the oversight committees. What the regulation enforcements are like in Japan, I have no idea.
Could they be sitting on Honduran mahogany and only using it for custom shop models? Probable, but I'm more concerned with the production guitars. I doubt that they're sitting on a massive stock of older mahogany that would be worth putting in a $500 guitar.
That's where things get confusing.
How can companies make such cheap guitars if they're using endangered woods? My assumption is that they're using cheaper woods that are more widely available and most likely no where near endangered, but that's what I'd like to find out.
However, when production lines are made in China, Indonesia and Korea, it could be very easy and likely that illegally sourced woods could be used. But, it raises more questions since the places that would be easier to move illegally harvested woods through are also going to be the places that make guitars that are too cheap to use them.
I'm interested in this in general, but since I play ESPs, I'm asking about them.
I would really like to believe that there's a good answer, but I'm fortunate that there's enough used ESPs on the market that to date I've only bought used mahogany guitars.

pillbug

There's nothing wrong with buying used. It's the right thing to do if you're concerned about the use of virgin materials, vs. re-using / re-purposing something that some one else is bored playing or can't afford keeping. As you mentioned, there are lots of good deals on used LTDs in particular, many like new.
Good luck in your quest.

Post to Thread