ESP Kamikaze IV - Nut Size

Updated
OUTLAW1969
I just bought an older Kami 4, and it came with an ESP licensed Floyd. Like most Kami's that I have seen, the nut does not extend across the whole 1-3/4 slot near the bannana style headstock. I am not sure if the previous owner sold the OFR, or if this is the Floyd version that just came with my particular guitar. The guitar plays fantastic, and is just like my previous Kami (in fact the serial #'s are only a few digits away from each other, 909309 + 909305), and I like the string spacing of the current nut. This particular Floyd is fine as far as functionality, but if an OFR would fit, I would want to swap it out. But if it would fit, I am not sure which size nut to get.....R2, R3, R5, etc. I know the R5 should extend all the way across the nut slot, but will it have wierd string spacing? A few of the other sizes closer match the total length of this ESP nut in millimeters, and the low E to high E spacing. So are they (R2,R3, R5, etc) all similiar enough to each other to not worry about it, and I should just "pick one", and go with it? Or, will I run into problems with the spacing of the mounting holes for the various sized nuts AND ALSO the mounting holes for the trem itself? This particular nut has "ESP No. 2" stamped on the under side of it, so I was thinking that it was an R2. Any help, or ideas if a standard OFR will fit these older Kami's? Thanks in advance guys.
Josh in NY

I would first measure the E-E spacing and go from there. I know there's 3 main sizes for 6-strings - 1 11/16", 1 5/8" or 1 3/4". In any case, the nut should go from one side of the neck clear across side to side and be flush with the neck. You'll want one that is the correct actual nut width compared to the neck.

It IS possible that the trem and nut could have been replaced, and the last owner found something to fit it. If this IS the case, then I would try one that is the correct nut width that belongs on it and see if the string spacing is any different - it should be, but not to the point of being difficult or hard to play. Worse comes to worse, measure the nut on your other Kami and find out. They should be the same nut width and if the other one is flush on both sides, then chances are the one on the K-4 was replaced with any old thing.

Hope this helps...

Big Rich

sell it to me

Trendkill

sell it to me

Man, need to see a IV in your collection! Then a bones!. Now what a family pic that would make!

load more replies (1 of 1)
Big Rich

hey outlaw post some pics of that kami if you have any. shoot a few close ups of the bridge, il be able to tell if he did anything funny to it

OUTLAW1969

Thanks for the replies!

Big Rich I was dumb enough to let the first one slip through my hands when I was jones'ing for a Harley, but not going to make that mistake with this one. She's a keeper. I will get pics up as soon as I can get a camera that works (wife broke mine).

dinga

Why change the nut? Swap in an OFR and leave the nut as it is.

Big Rich

Why change the nut? Swap in an OFR and leave the nut as it is.
floyd rose will not fit a synclair route, the posts are lined up differently and the route is not wide enough to float correctly

Post to Thread